Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Move to new computer gives "The key is wrong or the file is damaged."

Help
KitchM
2013-01-08
2013-01-17
  • KitchM
    KitchM
    2013-01-08

I took my old hard drive out of my Arch Linux computer and put it in the new Fedora17 computer. I moved the KeePassX files from the old to the new drive. Then I installed the only KeePassS version available from the Fedora repository (version 0.4.3) and tried to open the database.

I could not remember if I had a key file or only a password, so I tried to open my database with every combination of database and key file I found in the directory, including the original database file that was first created.

All I get is the following result:
    The following error occured while opening the database:
    Hash test failed.
    The key is wrong or the file is damaged.

It fails to explain if it requires a key file or which file is damaged. Bad error message.

I just can't believe that I can't open a database I used daily with a pass-phrase I can recite in my sleep.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks all.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-09

Can you put the disk back in the old machine and work out how you opened the file?

cheers, Paul

• KitchM
    KitchM
    2013-01-16

Sorry, for some reason I was never notified that I received a response.

The old machine has gotten broken by my mistake in OS upgrade. I am attempting to get it working again, but I don't know what the results will be.

Is it your assumption that the file may work on the old but not the new?

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-17

KeePass stores information about key files in the config/ini file. If you can recover the config file you may be able to work out if you had a key file.

If you have access to the old disk you could look for a key file manually - usually called pwsafe.key.

cheers, Paul

• KitchM
    KitchM
    2013-01-17

Thank you. I will try that and let you know.