Keepass entries are disappearing

Help
Dnah Ojom
2014-02-03
2014-02-06
  • Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-03

I just opened Keepass to access logon information for a little used account, and the entry is missing. This is at least the third time this has happened in the last few months. The entry is simply gone, as if it had never existed. At first I thought perhaps I'd failed to save, accidentally deleted, or the app had crashed in some way. But now I'm quite certain Keepass is losing data.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Have I exceeded a max entries parameter? Misconfigured something?

I'm using version 1.26 on Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Keepass has 79 entries, all under the General group.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-03

Make sure that "Automatically save when closing/locking the database" in Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Start and exit(section) is checked. Note: Pressing "OK" when you add an entry is not sufficient to save an entry, you must save the entire database.

• Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-03

Appreciate the tip. I do have "automatic save" enabled. I also save manually every time I add an entry.

At first, I too suspected user error. But this is not what I'm seeing. The entry that disappeared today has been in Keepass for over a year. I access the site perhaps five to six times per year, so I know that the Keepass entry has been saved over multiple restarts. This was also the case with a couple other entries that have disappeared in recent months. They were there for a long time and persisted over many, many restarts; now they're gone.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-03

Have you looked in the KeePass Backup folder?
    Are the entries expiring? You won't find expired entries via a search / Global Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

• Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-03

There's nothing under Tools -> Show Expired Entries

As I understand it, backup is a plugin extension to Keepass which, embarrassingly, I've never installed. I don't see anything under the KeePass directory. Where would it be located?

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-03

It's a backup folder in the KeePass database.
    I used KeePass V1 for years and never lost an entry and KeePass always asks before deleting entries, so I'd be very surprised if it's KeePass.
    Do you have a plug-in that is making changes?
    Are you sure you are using the same database each time?

cheers, Paul

• Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-03

No plugins installed.

Only one instance of Database.kdb can be found on my computer (under C:\Program Files (x86)\KeePass Password Safe).

User error is an acceptable answer to me... I'm not offended. What else should I be looking for? Should I consider a different version of KeePass?

• steelej
    steelej
    2014-02-03

Are you by any chance sharing the database folder over a cloud service such as Dropbox?

There is a slight possibility of entries being lost unless you use version 2 with triggers. I have never used version 1.

• Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-04

No sharing of any kind.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-04

Do you have a backup of the database you can open to compare? You could export both databases to CSV and compare them in a spreadsheet.

Did you drag n drop an entry to another group? I assume you have used the search to look for the entries.

cheers, Paul

• Dnah Ojom
    Dnah Ojom
    2014-02-06

No backups available for comparison. No dragging and dropping (I have everything under a single group). Yes, I've tried the search function.

Since there seem to be no known bugs or any history of data corruption, I've decided to move to version 2 and setup regular backups. Hopefully, I won't see this issue again. But if I do, I'll have some way of tracing it.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-06

Regular backups are a minimum requirement for computer use IMO. All of your data should be backed up, preferably to an external device, and you should also have image backups to make recovery from a catastrophic failure easy.

cheers, Paul