KeePass is always opening my Google account as an option.

Help
Glitch
2013-12-03
2013-12-05
  • Glitch
    Glitch
    2013-12-03

Yesterday, KeePass started to open my Google account as well as the relevant account as an option when I press CTRL-ALT-A, as if there were multiple accounts for the site I am visiting.

I am not sure what is going wrong. I upgraded from KeePass 2.15 to 2.24 to try to solve this, but that didn't help. I altered my Google entry in KeePass from the title field "Google" to "Testing" and it fixed the problem. But if I change the title field back to "Google" it pops up with every entry, or it will just autotype in my Google account information on a site that doesn't have a matching entry.

Normally this would just be frustrating, but with KeePass autotyping my google account information into other websites, it's a security risk for me.

edit: I deleted the entry in KeePass and re-entered it. It did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edit: Glitch 2013-12-03
  • AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2013-12-03

At a guess, this might be because you are using Google Chrome, which always sticks "Google Chrome" into its window title? So the "Google" part of that always matches the title of your Google account entry. Easiest fix is probably just to change the title of your Google entry to "Google Account" instead, so it doesn't match.

Or there's always WebAutoType to match by URL rather than title, or one of the browser plugins for putting the url actually in the title of the browser.

• Glitch
    Glitch
    2013-12-03

This is true that Google tends to stick Google Chrome into the title, but it has never been an issue before for the years I have used KeePass.

I'm going to try a plugin that puts the domain in the title and go from there and see if it works using the option to use auto-type for "An entry matches if it's URL is contained in the target window title."

I'm kind of surprised that KeePass doesn't have an option to validate a web page via the URL field. That would be very hard to spoof, as the the title field is easy to spoof. Any ideas why it's setup that way? I'm sure I am missing something.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-03

I'm kind of surprised that KeePass doesn't have an option to validate a web page via the URL field.

KeePass can not see the contents of custom child controls such as browser URL fields. The task of integrating the necessary complimentary browser functionality has been left to third-party developers. I believe another plugin the provides this kind of functionality is the WebAutoType plugin. I have not tried this plugin but it does appear to have a following.

• Glitch
    Glitch
    2013-12-05

Thanks AlexVallat and Wellread1. This setup keepass to do what I wanted it to do, that is to match via URL.

I'm still puzzled why it suddenly decided that everything was Google out of the blue though. It was working normally when the title always had Google in it from Chrome.

Ah well. It's working now. Thanks!