Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

autotype --three-stage login

Help
2012-10-13
2012-11-19
  • Sue Reinert
    Sue Reinert
    2012-10-13

I'm totally new. Several financial websites have three-page logins: first the username, then the answer to a challenge question, then the password. I've tried putting in delays and also tried to add a field for the challenge question (the ones I tried were not recognized by Keepass) but no dice. So far the only thing that works is to set up two entries, one for the user name, one for the password, and type in the question answer myself, but I'd rather do it with one entry. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2012-10-13

KeePass auto-type can not react to variable pages, which would be required to answer typical challenge questions.   There are a couple of strategies that can work however. 

1. If the bank site allows it, and you are prepared to use nonsense answers to the challenge questions, you can set the answer for all challenge questions to a single strong password.  Then KeePass can do a complete multi-page login without needing any logic to respond to variable pages.

2. Many banks allow you to "remember this computer".  This usually eliminates the challenge question and may be appropriate on secure computers.

3. You can define additional entries, or use custom fields to add the answers to the security questions to your KeePass entry.  Then add custom auto-type sequences for each security questions.  Note: the advantage of separate security question entries is that you can give each entry a descriptive title which makes it easier to select the correct question from the KeePass auto-type selection dialog that will likely appear.

-wellread1