Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Auto type for Bank with picture STEP by STEP guide

Help
2014-04-14
2014-04-16
  • Mohammed Saeed
    Mohammed Saeed
    2014-04-14

Hello. This is my first post. Heartbleed bug sucks. I needed a solution and found KeePass.
    I have the same technical knowledge as a Cauliflower, so need help with exactly how to enter passwords on bank websites... you know the ones with drop down lists asking for you passphrase or memorable word.

I have read the keepass instructions but the 'syntax' rules are really confusing:

{S:Memorable}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:Password:ID=1, C=1, Conv=D, Conv-Offset=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:Password:ID=2, C=1, Conv=D, Conv-Offset=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:Password:ID=3, C=1, Conv=D, Conv-Offset=1}{ENTER}

What on earth do these mean !

I have put some effort into making screenshots showing exactly which keys I need to press on my keyboard...in the hope that it is not too cheeky to ask a kind soul to tell me exactly what I need to enter in the 'Override default sequence' and/or the Target window & Sequence fields.

Screenshots at this link:
    http://oneofflinkpage.wikispaces.com/home

Then I can put up the complete guide to help others.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-14

We generally don't like putting specific logins on the Help pages because they vary so much and are likely to change without notice. Writing the instructions here is our normal arrangement.

Your login should probably be done from a single KeePass entry with multiple Auto-Type statements. This will allow you to choose which bit you need after pressing the Global Auto-Type hot keys (Ctrl Alt A).

Step 1 is the standard Auto-Type. Press Ctrl Alt A.
    Step 2 requires you to click on the first character box before pressing the global Auto-Type keys, as this prevents 6 tabs getting the wrong box. Then add a new Auto-type sequence of: {PICKCHARS:S:Memorable Data:ID=1,C=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:S:Memorable Data:ID=2,C=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:S:Memorable Data:ID=3,C=1}
    You can now click "Continue" to complete the login. This allows you to confirm the characters were typed as expected - we don't want to get it wrong 3 times.

To make Step 2 work you need to add a custom field containing your memorable data under the Advanced tab and add a new "Target Window" and sequence under the Auto-type tab. Enter "TSB*" as the Target Window - without quotes - and the Auto-Type sequence as shown above.

How it works
    The target window entry of "TSB*" matches the TSB window title - I hope.
    KeePass then asks you 3 times for a single character (C1) from the "Memorable Data" custom field and types those values, followed by Tab.

I would test it in Notepad before giving it a real test.

cheers, Paul

• Mohammed Saeed
    Mohammed Saeed
    2014-04-14

Hello Paul.

I think I've done what you suggested.
    But still not working.

I know you mentioned you don't like putting pictures up, but I think it will be the clearest way of me showing you what I have done.
    I have attached as PNG file.

If I can get this to work, I can rewrite the steps in the forum for others.
    Thanks

Last edit: Mohammed Saeed 2014-04-14
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-15

Looks OK. Have you tested it in notepad? You need to change the target window to "notepad" to test.

cheers, Paul

• Mohammed Saeed
    Mohammed Saeed
    2014-04-16

Yes tested in Notepad. It just causes the TAB to be pressed twice.
    No characters are asked for.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-16

Try it without the "S:". {PICKCHARS:Memorable Data:ID=1,C=1}
    Try it with the field name in quotes. {PICKCHARS:"Memorable Data":ID=1,C=1}

cheers, Paul