Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Behind Corporate Proxy - FTP URL open does not work

Help
2013-06-15
2013-10-18
  • Lyall Pearce
    Lyall Pearce
    2013-06-15

Keepass 2.22 (linux Mono) works just fine against files and using URLs to FTP locations, when at home, but behind a corporate proxy, it fails to open the URL.
    I use the exact same URL at work as at home, I even put my domain credentials in the login info, even though it's not needed, and it simply won't work.

I can access my database on my iPhone using the OwnCloud app and MiniKeePass.

Suggestions on how I can access my KeePass2 database from my linux desktop, when the database is stored in my OwnCloud, behind a proxy, would be greatly appreciated!

...Lyall

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-06-15

Please try the following development snapshot together with the -debug command line option; you should see a detailed error message:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130613.zip

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Lyall Pearce
      Lyall Pearce
      2013-06-19

ftp://URL (username)

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
      KeePass
      at KeePassLib.Serialisation.IOConnection.FileExists(IOConnectionInfo ioc, Boolean b ThrowErrors)
      at KeePass.Forms.IOConnectionFOrm.TestConectionEx()
      Boolean FileExists(KeePassLib.Serialization.IOConnection, Boolean)

:)

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-06-16

Corporate firewalls have many ways of preventing access to external site so it is difficult to provide a definitive solution.
    Are you able to open/download the database from a PC behind the firewall? If so does it require and specific routine / browser?

cheers, Paul

• Mark
    Mark
    2013-06-17

Try FTP on port 443 and on your home router port forward 443 to the FTP port, 21 or 22 for SFTP.

Last edit: Mark 2013-06-17
    • Lyall Pearce
      Lyall Pearce
      2013-06-19

I am trying to do the connection from work, on my work PC, behind a corporate firewall on a Windows 7 PC, not at home, which works just fine, as I stated in my initial post.

Oh, and I can use FileZilla on my corporate PC and connect to my ftp site on my Domain host.

:)

Last edit: Lyall Pearce 2013-06-19
  • Mark
    Mark
    2013-06-19

Same as me then :-) default FTP and SFTP ports, 21,22, are blocked by company firewall

but you can use alternate ports from work for FTP by appending, for example :443 on the end of your ftp url eg ftp://dynamicipaddress:443. 443 is one port that is not blocked by company firewall. I assume your are not a fixed IP at home and are using some sort of dynamic dns service.

Then on your home router port forward 443 to <ftpserver IP="" on="" LAN=""> port 21

It works for me, albeit very slowly for the sync. I am using IOprotocol plugin and SFTP but I assume Keepass FTP is similar.

• Lyall Pearce
    Lyall Pearce
    2013-09-24

I guess I should also mention that running Keepass2 2.23 on Windows 7 in the same corporate network also fails with the same error.
    Exact same url works fine if not behind the corporate firewall.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-09-25

I have never managed to reliably persuade a corporate firewall to pass FTP requests whilst maintaining security - I am a network / firewall professional.

cheers, Paul

• whumann
    whumann
    2013-10-18

Similar problem: corporate environment, FileZilla & TotalCommander ftp works, Keepass says "Operation is not valid...".

Solution for me: Install IOProtocolExt plugin.

http://keepass.info/plugins.html#ioprotocolext states: "KeePass can handle FTP by default (using classes of the .NET framework). However, this plugin replaces the FTP handler to use WinSCP instead. So, if you had problems with the .NET FTP classes, installing IOProtocolExt might solve them."