Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Can't transfer data from KP1.x to KP2.x...

Help
2011-10-22
2012-11-19
  • Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-22

I am migrating from Maxthon 2.5.18 to Firefox 7 on Windows 7 HP 64-bit.  I have been using Keepass 1.x.  I have downloaded Keepass 2.x and Keefox.  Problem is that when I open either Keepass 2.x I get the following error message: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Keepass Password Safe\Keepass Database.kdbx…The specified file couldn't be found.:  When trying the Keefox Set-up page within FF, I get the following message:  "The following plugin is incompatible with the current KeePass version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Keepass Password Safe 2\plugins\KeepassRPC.plgx.  Have a look at the plugin's website for an appropriate version"

I have no idea how to continue with the setup or how to transfer my Keepass 1.x data to Keepass 2.x (and KeeFox).  Some help please, thank you.

• totya7
    totya7
    2011-10-22

Hi!

Import KeePass1 database: In Keepass2, try create new database  (file-new) after try: file-import-KeePass kdb 1.x, after save
    That's all, I think.

Error messages: Create backup from your KeePass data (databases, plugins, plugins data), after try uninstall KeePass versions+KeeFox, delete plugins, delete KeePass 1/2 directory, delete plugins data directory.
    Install KeePass2, import your KeePass1 database, after save. If no problem, no error messages, try install KeeFox plugin.

If there is a problem with the KeeFox, I suggest try own forum, see http://keefox.org/help

I don't  use Keefox, only uses auto-type function.

• Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-22

Have two KP apps: C:\program files (86x) (1.x) and program files (86x) keepass password safe and keepass password safe 2 (2.17).  I created the folder "keepass database.kdbx) in the latter.  When I executed the latter's .exe, got error message that the plugin was incompatible and was told to get a compatible plugin.  I have no idea what to do…which plugin?  At same time, also got error message that C:\…keepass database.kdbx couldn't be found.  I'm utterly confused.

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2011-10-22

KeePass 2.17 does not work with the current version of KeeFox but the upcoming version 0.9.3a works fine.

You can find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keefox/versions/

Once that error message is gone it looks like the other problem you're having is that you are trying to open a database file that doesn't exist. Maybe just try creating a new KeePass 2 database and follow the guidance above again.

• Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-23

I screwed up.  I first deleted 0.9.3 and then dl'd 0.9.3a. Keefox setup appeared and actually placed database.kdbx into my Windows Explorer…something that I couldn't do previously. I then imported my 1.x database into 2.x. When I opened Keefox in FF, all was fine except I had chosen not to overwrite and wound up with a treed set with 1.x data (in kbdx format, though as it shouldbe) under General. Unfortunately, I didn't like having the addtional General set and deleted the plugin. When I tried doing installing 0.9.3a again, the set up prompt never came up and I'm back to square one: no database.kdbx and not knowing how to get that as a file into Windows Explorer. Suggestions, please.

• Paul
    Paul
    2011-10-24

Maybe you did not save KeePass.kdbx?
    Try the search in explorer for KeePass.kdbx.
    You don't need to get anything into Windows Explorer, KeePass will open the file if you select File > Open and browse to the correct location.

cheers, Paul

• Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-25

That's the problem, although probably not clerly stated.  At one point I was able to get everything properly setup and did get keepass.kdbx correctly installed while things were being setup.  However, as I didn't like the way I chose to install the data (wound up with two "General" trees, one with nothing in it and the other with the data transferred from 1.x-should have used overwrite instead of copy when importing from 1.x), I uninstalled KeeFox and KeePass 2.x, but not 1.x (as it had my original data) and reinstalled all over again.  However, this time I failed to get the prompts to install database.kdbx…and therein lies my problem.

• Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-25

And, BTW, when I try to reinstall Keepass 2.x, I am alerted that database.kdbx can't be found.  Shouldn't this file automatically be installed also?

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2011-10-25

Anything ending in .kdbx is a database file. You can create as many kdbx files as you want and open them whenever you want (most people just have one). This file contains all of your personal database entries so no, it's not something that gets installed automatically. KeeFox does prompt you to setup a new kdbx database after you first install it but that's just a convenience for new users - after the first install you'll need to create further databases using the standard KeePass features.

KeePass is trying to automatically open your most recently used database, which you have since deleted and therefore KeePass cannot find it. You can create a new kdbx file by opening KeePass and going to the File menu and choosing "new". You need to choose where on your computer you want to store the database (most people choose their "Documents" folder but it's totally up to you). You can then set up a new master password for the new database and import your KeePass 1.x files into it as before.

Once you start using your new kdbx file KeePass will stop trying to open the old missing kdbx file. You may also want to go to the file menu, "open recent" and click "clear recent" to get rid of the last record of the missing kdbx file.

Note that it is possible to move around, rename or delete groups within a KeePass database so even if the import doesn't end up exactly how you want it, you could find it is quicker to change what you have imported rather than deleting the whole database and starting again.

Once you have a working KeePass database you may want to go through the KeeFox tutorial at http://tutorial.keefox.org/ - if so, you'll need to go to the tools menu in KeePass and select the "Insert KeeFox tutorial samples" menu item.

Hope that helps,
    Chris

• Adam Singer
    Adam Singer
    2011-10-26

First, Chris, I'd like to thank you for your time and effort in helping us get these "problems" solved.

I must say that I have spent an awful lot of time trying to get KF to work (load properly, that is).  I uninstalled everything on one of my computers (KP2.17, FF7, and KF 0.9.3a), put them back on, but still had the problem with finding/installing database.kdbx.  I then went to KP2.16 and KF 0.9.1, thinking that my dls had some corruptions.  But, still there was the missing db problem.  And, whenever KP opened, just about everything was grayed out within the menu.  Couldn't even try to import anything.  BTW, I was going quite nuts by then.  However, with a stroke of genius (before your excellent tutorial showed up), I selected "New" within the file menu, and everything worked.  It appears that the selection of "New" was my missing link.  As selecting "New" was clearly seen by me before your above post; and if it was, I apologize for not seeing it and for making the following suggestion: You might consider making it clear about selecting "New" to establish a database.kdbx somewheres in one of your official instructions….

Thanks again for your program and your help.  If I couldn't have gotten KF/KP to work in FF, I might never have migrated to it…and I would have had to live with Mx2's incessant crashing.