Bug: KeePass 2.25 Portable loses data from 2.24 Portable and 2.24 Installer

Help
DaddySmash
2014-03-14
2014-04-24
  • DaddySmash
    DaddySmash
    2014-03-14

I just tried to upgrade from KeePass 2.24 Protable to KeePass 2.25 Portable by extracting the 2.25 zip file and pointing it to my exported database file. KeePass 2.25 loses over half of my database entries, and all of my folders in the hierarchy, so I downgraded back to 2.24.

I can't upgrade until the bug is fixed. What is the next step from here?

• Horst
    Horst
    2014-03-14

Why do you use any form of export for this upgrade ?
    Just expand the new KeePass zip file over the old
    and use it as before.
    Done on a lot of PCs without any problem.
    So open your original database with KeePass 2.25.
    And don't tell us that you have no copy of it.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-03-14

No export is required because Keepass 2.25 uses the same file format as 2.24. Simply open the original database, or if you are extra cautious, make a simple copy of the original password file (default extension .kdbx) and open it with KeePass 2.25.

Note: The database file contains the password entries so upgrading from 2.24 can't lose entries.

• DaddySmash
    DaddySmash
    2014-03-26

wellread1, that is exactly what I did, but when I opened the file up in 2.25, a lot of stuff was not displayed, or was lost. I didn't save the file to find out. Instead, I closed it without saving, then went back to 2.24.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-03-26

Your second post implies that you copied your database but your initial post said:

I ... point[ed] it [(KeePass 2.25)] to my exported database file.

Exporting and copying are different things. It is possible to use KeePass to export just a portion of your database to a database file. However copying the database file using Windows copy is lossless.

...when I opened the file up in 2.25, a lot of stuff was not displayed, or was lost.

The Open operation is simply a decryption of the database file followed by displaying its contents. If you successfully open the file with KeePass 2.25, everything that exists in the file is still present. If your display settings have changed for some reason, you would need to restore them in order to restore the original view.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-03-26
  • DaddySmash
    DaddySmash
    2014-04-23

It looks like KeePass 2.26 fixes the problem. I'm glad the release came pretty quickly.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-24

V2.26 does not change the way the database is decrypted or the format of the data. This will not be the reason you could not see your data. It is likely to be some anomaly of your view settings.

cheers, Paul