best font for printing password lists?

Help
2005-05-17
2014-09-21
  • jeremy finney
    jeremy finney
    2005-05-17

I'm required to print out a password list for everyone in my organization.

I often have problems distinguishing between similar characters.

Has anyone dealt with this issue that can recommend a font with distinct characters?

• Mark
    Mark
    2013-08-13

v.old thread but I found this after I got really frustrated after taking ages in repeatedly entertaining a 60 character pass phrase on a gadget without a proper keyboard...

I have now set keepass to use Courier New for passwords... my problem was lower case l vs. number 1 and my old eyes.......but maybe others think there are even better fonts to avoid this problem ???

Last edit: Mark 2013-08-13
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-08-13

My favourite is Consolas. Then you also get 0 and O showing properly.

cheers, Paul

• Gordon Venem
    Gordon Venem
    2013-08-18

I use DejaVu sans

Last edit: Gordon Venem 2013-08-18
  • Sue Heron
    Sue Heron
    2014-01-12

Can I jump in on this discussion, and ask how you set up KeePass to print separate alphabetical lists, how to control content of each page so the last password information doesn't spill over onto the next page, and how you keep the page count under 79? My previous program, Whisper32, printed the same database in 20 pages. I tried separating A passwords into an A group and so on, but when I try to print out A KeePass gives a print preview of A-Z, the entire database. Windows 7/64, KP 2.4.

Last edit: Sue Heron 2014-01-12
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-01-12

Why print anything? KeePass works on all manner of devices and you can always export to HTML if you want to be able to see the data without KeePass.

cheers, Paul

• Sue Heron
    Sue Heron
    2014-04-16

Hi, Paul, sorry it took so long to get back to this. I know you disapprove of printouts, but I have no security issues and need a good printout, for reasons I won't bore you with. My issues with KeePass are these: 1) I would like printouts to be separated alphabetically; no spillover of A into B, A should end even at the top of a new page, and B should start on the next page. 2) I'd like to see a line in between each entry, is there a way to add this, to delineate the entries? The old Whisper32 program had an excellent print function, but no alphabetical delineation. 3) I print in portrait mode, in block. I would like to see a 'default' button added to the print choices, because they jump back to 'tabular' etc. after I change them. I want them to stay at 'block' mode and keep the lighter password font, for example, and I wind up having to repeat selections over and over. Can you suggest any solutions for these issues for me?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-16

Try exporting using the "Transform using XSL Style Sheets" option. You will be prompted for an XSL style sheet. There are several in the KeePass application XSL folder that you can try. The exported file (extension: .export) can be read by excel if you put the .xsl file that you used to export and if needed, the TableHeader.gif in the same folder as the .export file. Once the file is open in excel (ignore any messages) you can re-format, sort & filter, or insert page breaks as needed.

Other programs beside excel may also be used if they can read XML files.

• Steve
    Steve
    2014-09-02

Thanks for your note wellread1. I was completely unfamiliar with XSL but after trying to use the CSV and HTML exports, I didn't have anything to lose by experimenting further. While I could have used some more explanation about the styles in the XSL, I just forged ahead. Obviously I still don't know a thing about XSL but I got the results I needed in spite of my ignorance. So Thanks again!

• bilvihur
      bilvihur
      2014-09-11

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I too would like to print out a KeePass list containing Title, Username, Password, and URL, to place in my safe deposit box. I can Export using XSL, but I'm lost when it asks me to select an XSL Transformation File. I looked in the KeePass Password Safe 2 folder, but don't see any XSL options. Is there a simple way to print out what I see on the screen when I open KeePass, with password readable? Thanks.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-09-11

Why don't you use the File > Print option? It lets you choose the fields you want printed under the Layout tab. I'm assuming you're using V2.

cheers, Paul

• bilvihur
      bilvihur
      2014-09-11

Thanks. That did what I wanted!

• bilvihur
    bilvihur
    2014-09-21

Well maybe not exactly - is there a way to get the list to print in the same sized font that displays on the screen (modifiable in Options)? And also ignoring the Recycle Bin?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-09-21

Print Preview includes a scaling option the affects the font size of the print output. By default it is set to "Shrink to Fit".

I don't believe there is a way to exclude just one group. The easiest alternate way to ignore the recycle bin is probably to empty it before printing.