Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Master Password Error

Help
Rob Taylor
2014-02-24
2014-02-24
  • Rob Taylor
    Rob Taylor
    2014-02-24

Something happened to my computer while I was in IE, and suddenly now KeePass won't accept my Master Password, even though I didn't change it. I also have a Key File, but I without being able to log-in to KeePass, I can't find where I can change the log-in from Master Password to Key File. Please help me, I'm no longer able to log-in to any of the sites that I use until I can open the KeePass database.

• Rob Taylor
    Rob Taylor
    2014-02-24

I found another post re: this problem, which indicated that either the password was typed incorrectly or the database was corrupted, so:

I retyped 6 times the password which I've been using since my original KeePass install on 2/7/2014, but still got the error.

I restored the database from my weekly backup on 2/22/2014, and still got the error.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and used the restored database, and still get the error.

I seriously doubt that the restored database is also corrupted, since I'd been using it right up until today.

What I heaven's name could be causing this, and how can I fix it? I had entered numerous entries and I'd hate to have to log-in to got to each and every one of the entries to change the passwords and then start entering into a new database.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-24

Something happened to my computer while I was in IE

What happened? What actions did you take?

Internet Explorer has nothing to do with KeePass unless you are using a browser integration plugin with KeePass. Even so Internet Explorer will not affect your ability to open the database if you have the correct Master Key.

I also have a Key File, ...

If the Master Key included a key file then you must supply the key file along with the master password to open the database. Check the key file box and provide the path to the correct key file at the same time that you enter the master password

...without being able to log-in to KeePass, I can't find where I can change the log-in from Master Password to Key File.

You can not change the Master Key unless you can open the database.

I seriously doubt that the restored database is also corrupted, since I'd been using it right up until today.

I agree with your assessment. A backup is a known good copy unless you haven't successfully opened the database since the backup, in which case the backup might be of a copy of an already corrupt database. However, a corrupt database is very rare; in all likelihood you are using the wrong Master Key.

Additional steps you can take:

Use the reveal password button "..." to the right of the master password entry field to verify that you are entering the password correctly.

If you are using KeePass 2.x and you linked the database to you Windows User Account make sure that the Windows User Account check box is checked. If you linked the database to the Windows User Account and the Windows User Account becomes damaged you may be locked out of your database unless you can restore the Windows User Account (not recreate it).

If you created any additional databases when you first started using KeePass, then make sure you are trying to open the correct database using the correct Master Key. If you need to search your computer for database files and/or key files; the default database extension is .kdbx for KeePass 2.x and .kdb for KeePass 1.x; and the default key file extension is .key.

For the future: key files, and especially links to a Windows User Account are best avoided unless there is a need for them because they add complexity that can increase risk.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-24