Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How To Synchronize Two KeePass Databases?

Help
2005-08-22
2012-11-19
  • Is there a way to synchronize two seperate KeePass databases that each contain some different data as well as some of the same data so that they are both identical?  This would be some type of compare and synchronize function.

Thanks.

• Paul
      Paul
      2005-08-23

This has been asked for quite a few times. At the moment there is no such thing, but we can hope.

cheers ,Paul

• And there won't be a possibility in the near future for 2+ users to work on the same db, right?
      bad if you want to work an hour on the db, want to save and get the message that the db has been modified since you opened it (by another user)....

• Paul
      Paul
      2005-08-24

KeePass is a single user database. If you want a multi user database, you need to look elsewhere.

cheers, Paul

• I use 2 databases, one on Harddisk , the other on USB Stick.
      To "synchronize" use
      File > extport to > xml > myneam.xml

on the other database
      extrax > import KeePass xml

Note : you must have Keepass xmlimport Plugin installed

Daniel

• Regarding the multiple-user access senario, I've limited access by storing the db files on a secure share and limiting the number of connections to 1.  In testing, it allows multiple sessions from the same computer only.  Plausible work around?

• sounds GREAT but... (yes there's always a but...) how can I create such a limitation on a normal drive??

• Paul
      Paul
      2005-09-10

Multiple people can open a KeePass database, it is saving that is difficult. As long as you don't need to save, make the file read-only.
      If changes are required, make them in a master copy, then replace the read-only copy with the updated one.

cheers, Paul

• eeehm, and what's the best practise to sync a PC and a PPC DB ? I'd like to use KeePass on my PC and on my PPC and would prefer to use identical data ... plus the ability to add/modify passwords while I'm on the road and load them back to the PC later.

Currently I put the database file in the auto-sync folder of ActiveSync, but this will still create a copy on the PPC and might create different database states.

would it be possible to use a plugin (on the PC) to import/export (aka: sync) with the PPC copy of the DB ? I mean, does the DB structure allow this ?

any better ideas ?

cu,
      Andy