Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Finding-then-avoiding duplicate passwords

Help
TomF
2013-12-09
2014-02-16
  • TomF
    TomF
    2013-12-09

Like many people no doubt, I managed over the years to use certain words as passwords over & over again. I was hoping KeePass would help me to fix this, and found a couple things I'd like confirmed if possible:

1. KeePass (I use 1.26) does not have any "find duplicates" capability nor any switches to avoid duplicate passwords in the first place

2. The only way to find duplicates is to Export the database to a CSV file, open e.g. with OpenOfficeCalc and then Sort on password-then-username fields

3. One glitch I found in the CSV import process is that any passwords that include commas or quote marks (") tend to halt or ruin the import, so I've changed my random password generation options to exclude these

If anyone could confirm, or tell me of other ways to deal with this, I'd appreciate any comments!

Tom

Last edit: TomF 2013-12-09
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-10

Is the import/export operation really necessary?

Generally passwords need to be changed individually anyway because you need to update the corresponding user account, not just KeePass. It is possible to use KeePass' internal sort and find features to group entries based on password so you can use these capabilities to organize the password change job. By keeping the password change job in KeePass you can also break the job into manageable pieces.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-11

Duplicate passwords are only an issue if the user name is also the same and someone discovers both - and then works out where else you have used it. As you already know you use the same password you can search for that password in KeePass, then change them as you find them.

cheers, Paul

• TomF
    TomF
    2014-02-16

Thanks folks, I had a heckuva time finding why I couldn't sort properly--turns out it was as simple as the "Auto-Sort Password List" under the View menu which somehow I had not found searching the Help info. I still have to go thru each of my 16 groups but it's do-able.

Here's one vote for a new feature--"Show duplicate username/password combos".

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-16

Finding duplicates is a filter to exclude unique passwords. The filter is mostly a nicety. A sort is more important because it groups the duplicates. You can already sort. The true problem is the tedium of changing duplicates, not of finding them (at least for small sets of a few hundred). Even if you miss a few in the first pass you can fix them as you encounter them later.

Removing duplicates should be a one-time job that happens when you first import old passwords. After that you should use the KeePass password generator to avoid creating new duplicate passwords.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-16