KeePass 2 database does not open

Help
mwilsonl
2013-01-01
2013-01-13
  • mwilsonl
    mwilsonl
    2013-01-01

Reinstalled KeePass 2.20.1 (Installer EXE for Windows) on Windows 7. Enter Master Key window appears showing key file name and key file box is checked. On entering Master Password, this window disappears but then nothing happens: database does not open.
    Please help.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-03

Is KeePass still running?
    Has KeePass wandered off the side of the screen?
    Rename the KeePass.config.xml file and try again.
    Try downloading the ZIP version and unzipping to a temporary directory. Run it from there.

cheers, Paul

• develop1
    develop1
    2013-01-03

I think what is meant by "wandered off screen" is a condition wherein an application thinks a 2nd monitor is present when infact, that is not the case.

In such a situation a solution is:

Put the offending window into "restore" size by holding down the "alt" key hitting the spacebar key then hitting the letter "R".

Now that the offending window is in "restore" size, hit "alt" "spacebar" then the letter "M".

The above puts the window into "move" mode.
    Hit the arrow key to get it moving.
    You can now waggle your mouse about and bring the offending window back onto your monitor where it can be seen & used.

• mwilsonl
    mwilsonl
    2013-01-06

Thank you Paul and develop 1 for your contributions but your comments do not relate to my problem, which is not solved. In answer to your question Paul 'Is KeePass still running' please read the original post: I cannot provide any more info. KeePass is installed but my only created database will not open.
    Can anyone e help?

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-07

You can open KeePass and create a new database but not open your existing database?
    How large is your existing database?
    What version of KeePass were you using?
    Have you tried the ZIP version?
    Do you have a backup of your database you can test?

cheers, Paul

• mwilsonl
    mwilsonl
    2013-01-08

Let me explain again because the message is not getting through. On my home computer only, I cannot open my KeePass database. (I can open it on other computers synced with home computer through Dropbox.) I have reinstalled KeePass 2.20.1 (Installer EXE for Windows) on Windows 7 on the home computer. When I open KeePass the 'enter Master Key' window appears showing the key file name and the key file box is checked. On entering the Master Password, this window disappears but then nothing happens: the database does not open. The problem is therefore not as characterized by other posters. Can you help?

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-08

This sounds like you have a corrupted config file, or unhappy .NET.

After you enter the master password is KeePass.exe still running? Right click on a blank space on the taskbar > Start Task Manager. If it is running you will need to highlight it and End Process. Then rename all KeePass.config.xml files and try again. Note:you can have multiple config files.

Try repairing the .NET installation from the Program section of Control Panel.

cheers, Paul

• mwilsonl
    mwilsonl
    2013-01-13

Thanks Paul. Problem is SOLVED! It was the desktop shortcut that wasn't working. Very simple solution.