Help
isaaclg
2013-07-15
2013-07-17
  • isaaclg
    isaaclg
    2013-07-15

Hi.

I used the option "change the master password", but when I try to open keepass, I get the error "The key is erroneous or the file is damaged" forever.
    Just change the password, nothing more.
    has a solution?

Thanks

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-15

Given that this error began immediately after changing the Master Key, the most likely cause (almost a certainty) is that you you are not entering the correct new Password (e.g. you made a typo when you changed the password). The only solutions are to recover a backup of your password database (.kdb(x) file) that predates the password change, or to discover the correct password by trying likely password variants (e.g. turn the caps lock on).

If you don't have a backup but you are using a modern OS (e.g. Vista or later) you may still be able to recover a Previous version of your database. If you are using a service such as Dropbox there may also be backups available.

• isaaclg
    isaaclg
    2013-07-16

I think the file is damaged.
    when you change the password, select "key file" and select my keepass database.
    Now I try to fix it from windows and see this error:
    Still detected entries and groups. Is it possible to repair it?

Attachments
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-16

That error message indicates that you are using the wrong Master Key (e.g. password), OR that the file is invalid or corrupted. You can demonstrate to yourself that the message you posted will occur if the wrong Master Key is supplied, by creating a test database, then try to repair it using an incorrect password.

Since you have not been able to open the database since you changed the password, and changing the password is simply saving the database using a new encryption key, the most likely cause of your problem is as I described in my previous post.

Did your KeePass database use a key file? If it did not, then the "Use master password and key file" box should not be selected.

What version of Windows are you using?
    What version of KeePass 1.x are you using?
    What kind of media is the .kdb file saved on?

• isaaclg
    isaaclg
    2013-07-16

I'm sure the password I write well.

I do not remember if my database using key file.

• My keepass working on ubuntu 10.04.
    • Version keepass is 0.4.3
    • Do not understand the question 3

sorry for my English, I'm from Spain

Thanks

PD: the attached file is in windows. I keepass install on windows to try to repair it, but it not works.

Last edit: isaaclg 2013-07-16
    • Horst
      Horst
      2013-07-16

Sorry, but if you do not remember using a key file or not
      you should not use Keypass.
      You can not open a database if you can't correctly specify the options on opening it.
      Changing the password does not change anything else.
      So if you used a key file specify the full path to it
      if not don't set the option "Use master password and key file" on login
      as wellread1 allready said.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-16

Version keepass is 0.4.3

You are using KeepassX. KeepassX is a third party port of KeePass 1.x. You may be able to get additional help at the KeepassX forum.

Do not understand the question 3

I was asking what kind of storage device (media) you were storing the password database on (e.g. USB drive, hard drive, etc...). Some media such as USB drives (flash media) are less reliable than others such as hard drives (magnetic platters).

I do not remember if my database using key file.

It is important that you know whether you are using a key file because it is part of the Master Key. The password database cannot be opened without the complete Master Key. If you don't know whether you are using a key file it probably means that you weren't. Unfortunately if you were using a key file, you MUST remember what file you were using as the key file and select it when you open the database.

• isaaclg
    isaaclg
    2013-07-17

thank you, ask you keepass forum.
    I keep my password database on the computer's hard disk.
    But I think that I may not recovery my database :(

Thanks

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-07-17

when you change the password, select "key file" and select my keepass database

Using the KeePass database as a key file is guaranteed to make the database unusable. Key files must never change.
    http://keepass.info/help/base/keys.html#keyfiles

cheers, Paul