Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Deactivating or uninstalling

Aegir
2013-12-05
2013-12-05
  • Aegir
    Aegir
    2013-12-05

What happens if I want to deactivate or uninstall KeePass? Are the old passwords valid? In other words, does KeePass have å "backup"-system, in case I dont want to use KeePass any more? Or do I have to reset all the passords?

• Horst
    Horst
    2013-12-05

Why should you reset all your passwords ?
    Just delete your keepass files and uninstall the program.
    If you have a backup plugin installed remove the backup files also.

• Aegir
      Aegir
      2013-12-05

Horst: Thank you for your answer. Maybe you misunderstood my question. If by any reason I am not happy with keepass, I might want to uninstall it, and go back to the old password-system. So now the question is: if I delete my keepass files, will I have to reset all my old passords, as they were before keepass-install?

• Horst
        Horst
        2013-12-05

If you have stored passwords in an old system
        they may of course no longer be valid
        if you changed them while using Keepass.

But for what reason should one use another password system ?

• steelej
        steelej
        2013-12-05

KeppPass just keeps a record of the passwords you have created. It does not directly make any changes to passwords on any application or web site. The password file is encrypted and is unusable without KeePass.

If however you use KeePass to create a new password, and you have not written it down or copied it to some other password manager, then obviously you will not be able to access any such site again without using that site's password reset if you were to uninstall KeePass.

If you really want to remove KeePass you could export all your passwords from KeePass to a CSV file where all the passwords would then be in a non secure text file.

If you have never changed passwords since using KeePass then you can just uninstall KeePass and delete the KeePass database file.