[PLUGIN]WebAutoType - Use URLs for AutoType with web browsers

AlexVallat
2013-06-06
2015-12-14
<< < 1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 2 of 4)
  • TimK
    TimK
    2013-11-23

Did anyone else notice that Chrome has global accessibility mode turned ON by default on Windows 8 but it is OFF by default on Windows 7. Anyone know why and if there's a way to have it ON on Windows 7 all the time without starting it with a command line flag or enabling it via chrome://accessibility each time?

• AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2013-11-24

Huh, I had not noticed that that chrome://accessibility setting was not persisted if you restart Chrome (I'm a Firefox user, personally). That's irritating. I'll investigate how screen readers interact with Chrome, I find it hard to believe that they would require the unfortunate blind user to manually set this setting every time they want to use Chrome.

• Horst
    Horst
    2013-11-24

I have the problem on starting Keepass 2.24 in Windows 8.1 (Preview)
    It fails to compile the plugin (actual version) with the following error:

"Der Vorgang ist aufgrund des aktuellen Zustands des Objekts ungültig."
    English translation: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

• David Lechner
      David Lechner
      2013-11-24

Horst, Run KeePass from a command line using the --saveplgxcr option. If you don't know what I am talking about, just ask and I will explain better.

Doing this will save the plugin compile results to a temporary file. Attach that file here so that we can see what the error is.

• Horst
        Horst
        2013-11-25

Thanks, that helped.
        I found that UIAutomationClient.dll was missing.
        After enabling the old .NET 3.5 features in Windows 8.1 Preview
        the plugin compilation was successfull.

• TimK
    TimK
    2013-11-24

I have the problem on starting Keepass 2.24 in Windows 8.1 (Preview)
    It fails to compile the plugin (actual version) with the following error:

It works for me on Win 8.1 upgraded from the app store. It may help to shut down KeePass, clean up the plugin cache and start KP again. The plugin cache is usually in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\KeePass\PluginCache

• TimK
    TimK
    2013-11-24

Huh, I had not noticed that that chrome://accessibility setting was not persisted if you restart Chrome (I'm a Firefox user, personally). That's irritating. I'll investigate how screen readers interact with Chrome, I find it hard to believe that they would require the unfortunate blind user to manually set this setting every time they want to use Chrome.

Yes very strange and I wonder too what the blind user is supposed to do. Strange that it's OFF by default on Win7 and not sticky, but it's ON by default on Win8 and sticky. Chrome is nice and fast but at times frustrating.

We talked about another issue on the previous page: Chrome returns a URL without the trailing slash, e.g. http://example.com if accessibility mode is OFF, but it returns it with the trailing slash e.g. https://example.com/ if accessibility is ON. This messes with the pattern matching for URLs. I define all URLs to match against the version with the trailing slash, for security. Matching against something like https://example.com* looks insecure to me, some rogue site could have a subdomain such as https://example.com.roguesite.net and don't want to submit my password there by accident.

• AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2013-11-24

Horst: I'm afraid I don't have enough information to guess why it might be failing to compile for you. Have you tried any other .plgx plugins on the same system? Is there any more detailed error message, or is that the only thing the message says?

TimK: I've found some information on how Chrome probes for the presence of a screen reader, so I've made some changes to WebAutoType to respond to those probes. I've uploaded version 3.4 which, with any luck, will make Chrome automatically use accessibility without any need for user configuration.

For your trailing slash, I would suggest that in most cases you should match the full url, so https://example.com/login.html, to avoid accidentally auto-completing your password into a comment box or similar. In any case, the issue, at least for Chrome, should now be moot as accessibility will always be enabled, and therefore the url will always be returned with a trailing slash!

WebAutoType 3.4 is now available from the usual download link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/webautotype/files/latest/download

• TimK
    TimK
    2013-11-24

For your trailing slash, I would suggest that in most cases you should match the full url, so https://example.com/login.html, to avoid accidentally auto-completing your password into a comment box or similar. In any case, the issue, at least for Chrome, should now be moot as accessibility will always be enabled, and therefore the url will always be returned with a trailing slash!

Ideally yes, I agree with you. But many times that is not possible. For example a few banks have the login form straight on their main page. In general I'm not worried about passwords for forums and other non-important sites, those can leak. It's the important sites I'm worried about and it's unfortunate that they choose to have the login form on the main page which many times is not even HTTPS, even though the actual form does submit to a HTTPS URL. Very poor practice in my opinion.

I'll give 3.4 a try and report back. Any chance you could fix the check for updates in KP so that it can check for the latest version of the plugin? Thanks!

Last edit: TimK 2013-11-24
  • TimK
    TimK
    2013-11-25

Just want to say THANK YOU for fixing the accessibility problem in Chrome. It seems to work well now, though Chrome 31 has a bug where Global accessibilit mode is still shown as off but it's actually on. Apparently fixed in Chrome 32:
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=303635

• Haxus
    Haxus
    2014-01-03

I no longer have a delay in Chrome since upgrading from 3.3 to 3.4. This version is working great!

One minor thing I've noticed is that when I use the option for skipping the username when in a password field, it pops up with an auto-type entry selection screen where I need to pick either the {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER} option or the {PASSWORD}{ENTER} option. I have the option for using the URL field value for matching turned off.

Really not a big deal though. I only have one site that I ever need that for, and it's easy enough to just clear out the username field to let it type the normal sequence.

• AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2014-01-04

With the Skip Username option turned on, WebAutoType only skips the Username for entry sequences that are found using WebAutoType - it doesn't affect sequences that are matched by other means (like Window Title, for example), or explicitly defined overriding custom sequences.

From your description, I suspect that's what's happening is that your entry matches both a ??URL: target (with Default custom sequence), and also matches by Title or some other standard Keepass mechanism. So WebAutoType will modify the URL one to skip the username, but can't affect the standard one.

Other than just living with it, you have two options. You can go to Keepass Options, Advanced, and uncheck all the "An entry matches if..." options under Auto-Type (custom sequences should still work). Or, you can edit the entry in question to not match except by the URL target.

Alex

• garyp
    garyp
    2014-01-18

I've just installed WebAutoType and noticed the same Firefox delay problems that were reported by TimK here. After some investigation I've found that the delay is cause by Comodo Firewall, in particular the Defense+ component. I thought I should post what I've found in case it helps someone else.

Disabling Defense+ completely removed the delay for me but I wasn't particularly happy with this solution. I little bit of research found this page http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-tame-comodo-defense-without-disabling-it.htm which although isn't written specifically for my version of Comodo (5.12) mentions purging unused/dead entries in Defense+.

What I did was to perform the following actions:
    Defense+ > Computer Security Policy > Defense+ Rules > Purge
    Defense+ > Computer Security Policy > Protected Files and Folders > Purge

This has reduced the delay from about 3 seconds to a slight delay. The delay can be improved again if 'Protected COM Interfaces' is unchecked in Defense+ Settings > Monitoring Settings but I've chosen not to do this.

Hope this helps or gives some clues to others with the same problem.

Gary

Last edit: garyp 2014-01-18
  • TimK
    TimK
    2014-02-03

Thanks @garyp for the info. Interesting info about Comodo. I do have Comodo 5.12 installed on one of the machines (Win7 Pro x64) but I keep Defense+ disabled. The slowness also happens on a Win 8.1 Pro x64 machine that does not have Comodo installed. There must be some other interactions.

• Sebastian
    Sebastian
    2014-04-10

Hello,

if i check for Updates off KeePass, it checks also Updates for my installed Plugins. Only WebAutoType Plugin 3.4 could not be checked, since there seems to be no Versiopn Information comes back from the Online Source. Is it possible to add a check also for this Plugin?

• rasenplanscher
    rasenplanscher
    2014-06-13

First off: Thank you for the plugin, it's a huge help!

Now for the one thing that's bugging me right now: I currently use the Pale Moon browser, which is based on Firefox 24 ESR, and unfortunately the WebAutoType plugin does not seem to work with it. Is there something I can do to make this work? Otherwise, do you happen to know the nature of the problem and can explain it?

• wellread1
      wellread1
      2014-06-13

You should contact the WebAutoType plugin author at his forum at https://sourceforge.net/p/webautotype/discussion/general/

• rasenplanscher
        rasenplanscher
        2014-06-19

Thanks for the pointer =)

• AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2014-06-13

Posting in the WebAutoType forum is always a good idea (as I get notified of posts there), but I do occasionally look in on this forum too.

To answer your question, Pale Moon deliberately removed accessibility features for performance reasons(ref), so the URL can not be read by WebAutoType. I don't know how much of an impact accessibility has on performance, but as Pale Moon doesn't seem to offer any configuration option to turn it back on again, you might be out of luck, sorry.

Alex

• rasenplanscher
      rasenplanscher
      2014-06-19

What a pity. Still, thanks a bunch =)

• AlexVallat
    AlexVallat
    2014-06-23

WebAutoType v3.5 Released

Google have fixed(ish) the Accessibility detection again in newer versions of Chrome. It only works if KeePass is running before Chrome is run, so not ideal, but better than nothing. To celebrate, I've patched up WebAutoType to fix the advanced functionality (such as automatic password-only autotyping) with Chrome when Accessibility is turned on. (If you don't want to have to have KeePass running before Chrome starts, you can still use the --force-renderer-accessibility command line flag)

I've also added optional support for the KeePass "Check For Update" functionality, using the SourceForge Update Checker helper plugin.

Last edit: AlexVallat 2014-06-23
  • Horst
    Horst
    2014-06-23

It looks like this version breaks the Check for updates feature.
    It never comes to an end.
    The SourceForge Update Checker is installed and the checks worked with the previous version.
    KeePass itself is at version 2.26

• AlexVallat
      AlexVallat
      2014-06-23

Hmm, that's a weird one. I can reproduce it, but only when I don't have a web debugger running! Must be something to do with proxies.

Anyway, I think I have a fix for it, could you try downloading the v0.2 of the SourceForge Update Checker which should hopefully resolve the issue.

<< < 1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 2 of 4)