Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Can I get keepass to remember my passwords I make them - without having to retype the info

haopengyou
2014-05-24
2014-05-31
  • haopengyou
    haopengyou
    2014-05-24

I may not be using keepass correctly :( I am not sure how it should work. I have it installed. I have manually typed in all of my old passwords and added the associated data with it. Is there a way to get Keepass to upload old passwords that are in my windows password book? What about new passwords? Will it remember new passwords and the associated webpage that I am using? Sorry for the bone head question.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-05-24

1. KeePass can import CSV files. If you can export to this format you should be able to import.

2. KeePass does not integrate with browsers. You need to use a browser specific plug-in to remember passwords / sites automatically. http://keepass.info/plugins.html

cheers, Paul

• SteveShank
    SteveShank
    2014-05-30

The way I teach my clients to use Keepass is to first put the site into Keepass. DO NOT LOGIN to the website with our browser. Go to the website and when they want you to log in, open Keepass and create your username and password. Then copy the link to the URL into Keepass. Then copy and paste your username and password. If they object, change Keepass then paste again into the site. This way Keepass is always right.

Subsequently, DO NOT go to the website in your browser. Open Keepass, and click the URL from Keepass. If you are going to use it often, setup Auto-Type.

I never know or care what my passwords are and always go from Keepass to the website.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-05-31

I tend to go to the web site and then use Global Auto-Type. As I know the web site I can go straight from a bookmark, history or type, then KeePass becomes a background utility.

cheers, Paul