Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

FREQ: set expiration date when entry is used

Humangenom
2014-02-19
2014-03-01
  • Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2014-02-19

It would be great if you could automatically set expiration date to now + 6 months when an entry is used.
    The time should be configurable of course.

Why is it useful? Atm I can set an expiration date. When it's reached I can see the list with all expired entries. But the list is very huge in my case. The list would only be tiny if the entries would expire later automatically. Unused accounts are much easier to find.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-19

Updating time stamps frequently, such as updating the expiration date every time an entry is "used", will create issues. Its unlikely that such a feature would be implemented natively, though one might be able to create a plugin. Currently entry creation and last modification date can be routinely viewed via "View>Configure columns..." menu. Last access time is made accessible via a UI switch.

The benefit of routinely expiring passwords is debatable. Perhaps applying an expiration date to only entries that deserve the extra maintenance overhead will allow you to reduce the list of expired entries.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-19
  • Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2014-02-19

I see no issues. If you enable such an option, you have to save the database.
    I think all passwords deserve it, else they are not important and I wouldn't add them too KP. But forums, shops, ... will get unimportant over time and this will show you easily which accounts you could remove.

• Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2014-02-20

I have finished the plugin now. I will see if it works like I think.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-20

Cool! Let us know how it works out.

• Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2014-02-26

I made a small modification.
    I set expiration time to 6 or 12 months only when it's below 3 months when used. So not every used entry gets a new expiration time automatically.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-27

I assume you can leave certain entries untouched so they do expire at the required time?

cheers, Paul

• Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2014-03-01

No. Not yet. You would need another checkbox to set if this entry should be touched or not.
    Atm entries that do not expire are ignored.