Default Application directory on Windows 7 x64 "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"

wellread1
2014-01-31
2014-02-01
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-01-31

On my Windows Home Premium x64 computer, the KeePass installer defaults to the 32 bit Application directory "Program Files (x86)" while the configuration documentation infers the that KeePass should install to the 64 bit Application directory "Program Files".

Is there an error in the documentation or is there some circumstance where KeePass installs in the 64 bit directory?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-01-31

I see Windows 32 has only a "Program Files" directory. I guess everything is copacetic as long as the documentation user isn't too literal minded.

(I blame Microsoft)

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2014-02-01

Right. Anyway, I've added the '(x86)' suffix now, because most people are using 64-bit systems today and it's probably better that 32-bit users don't find the suffix than 64-bit users looking in the wrong directory.

Updated documentation:
    http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• steelej
    steelej
    2014-02-01

It could be worth adding a note below the table that the path is different on 32 bit machines.

Also suggest adding a note (and perhaps a link) about the ENV_PROGRAMFILES_X86 environment variable which contains the correct 32 bit path to the programs folder on either system (at least on Windows machines).

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2014-02-01

I've added a note like you suggested, thanks.

The documentation of {ENV_PROGRAMFILES_X86} looks correct to me.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• steelej
    steelej
    2014-02-01

I suggested adding a link to the environment variable as I always have difficulty finding the description whenever I need it.

There is nothing wrong with the environment variable description when you find where it is described.

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2014-02-01

The {ENV_PROGRAMFILES_X86} placeholder is documented on the placeholders page.

I don't think we need a link on the configuration page to the placeholder. The placeholder doesn't really have anything to do with the configuration. Note it's a placeholder, not an environment variable; Explorer doesn't know it.

Best regards,
    Dominik