Auto-Type examples for the Help pages

Paul
2014-01-01
2014-01-06
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-01-01

Dominik, I'm going to post some Auto-Type examples that may be useful to users. Ideally they should have their own page, like the trigger examples.

cheers, Paul

Verified by VISA
    Use this to provide the three VbV characters when you use a Credit Card online.

1. Create an entry, something like "Verified by VISA - card name".
    2. Enter the VbV password in the password field.
    3. Click the "Auto-Type" tab.
    4. Select "Override default sequence".
    5. Delete the existing text and enter the following: {PICKCHARS:Password:ID=1,C=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:Password:ID=2,C=1}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:Password:ID=3,C=1}
    6. Save the entry and the database.

How to Use
    When the VbV screen is presented follow the steps below.

1. Ensure the cursor is in the first character field.
    2. Bring KeePass to the foreground and select the "Verified by VISA - card name" entry.
    3. Click the "Perform Auto-Type" icon, or right click and select "Perform Auto-Type".
    4. Click on the numbers of the characters requested by VbV, in the order requested. e.g. 1, 3, 4.
    5. KeePass will now type the required characters into the 3 fields. Confirm all 3 fields are filled in and click "Submit".

How It Works
    KeePass opens the "Pickchars" window and waits for you to select one character. It does this a further 2 times. When you have selected one character 3 times KeePass drops to the background and types each of the characters, followed by a Tab for the first two characters. "Enter" is not typed as this allows you to confirm that the correct number of characters have been entered before finalising the transaction.

• Kev
    Kev
    2014-01-02

I've been using Keepass to do this a while now and it works perfectly too.

I personally use this sequence:

{DELAY 200}{PICKPASSWORDCHARS1:1}{DELAY 200}{PICKPASSWORDCHARS2:1}{DELAY 200}{PICKPASSWORDCHARS3:1}-{DELAY 200}{ENTER}

I suppose it all depends on the type of page you get, so it's a little trial and error. But once you've got it sorted, it is so convenient!

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-01-02

The PICKPASSWORDCHARS placeholder is now obsolete, but it still works.
    You could use {DELAY=200} instead of 3 individual ones.

cheers, Paul

• Kev
    Kev
    2014-01-03

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the hint.

I think I created those Auto-Type sequences when the PICKPASSWORDCHARS was first introduced and I haven't changed them since!

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2014-01-06

Thanks for the instructions!

I don't want to add anything website-specific to the documentation though. There might be multiple versions of a website (for example on http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/verified_by_visa.aspx the 'Verified by Visa' page looks completely different). And more problematically, websites may change at any time, possibly making any documentation incorrect. I'm not planning to review and eventually update explicit instructions for specific websites all the time.

Anyway, having them in the forums (or the Wiki) to point to is of course nice.

Best regards,
    Dominik