KeePass.config.xml conflicted copies

2013-11-30
2014-12-04
  • I use Keepass 2.24 portable. The software and Keepass DB are located in a dropbox folder and shared between different computers. However every time I close Keepass the file KeePass.config.xml is updated, even if nothing is (intentionally) changed.
    When I use two computers simultaniously this often results in Dropbox conflicted copies of the file.
    How can this be avoided ?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-01

The keepass.config.xml, as well as the KeePass program files, are not designed to be shared in this fashion. If you provide some details describing what you are trying to accomplish overall, forum users may be able to provide some suggestions that will help you achieve it. In the meantime you may want to examine the help pages regarding database synchronization and the trigger example implementing a method recommended for synchronizing KeePass shared password databases via cloud file services.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-12-01
  • Sorry Welread1, for some reason I never got a notification of your answer. The main reason is that I wanted to have only one keepass installation for all my windows machines. And not have to upgrade every single machine. And also one location with the (enforced) settings. So a machine specific location of only the keepass.config.xml would help. Database sync on Dropbox works fine!.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-11-30

Since you have alluded to the keepass.config.enforced.xml I assume you know how to use it to fix some or all settings. If not, see http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html#network.

A machine based configuration file is only possible if the KeePass application directory is located on the machine.

However, a User Account based configuration file is possible. While KeePass is not running, edit the global keepass.config.xml (located in the KeePass application directory). Set PreferUserConfiguration to true i.e.:

<PreferUserConfiguration>true</PreferUserConfiguration>

The next time KeePass starts it will create a local keepass.config.xml in the user's Application Data Directory (%APPDATA%/KeePass) and use it preferentially for all settings that are not overridden by the enforced configuration file. For config file order of precedence details see http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html#tech

• Thank you Wellread1, I will try this and report back my findings

• Wellread1,
    This worked indeed. As you say, it creates a keepass.config.xml in the appdata/roaming/keepass directory.
    I also had to set PreferUserConfiguration to true in the KeePass.config.enforced.xml file. At least that is what I interpreted from the file order specs in http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html#tech

Thank you very much for your assistence.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-12-03

If PreferUserConfiguration is not set in the enforced config, or you don't have an enforced config, you only need to set it in the KeePass.config.xml in the KeePass directory.

cheers, Paul

• Thanks Paul. My enforced config was originally a copy from the global config file. So it contained the PreferUserConfiguration setting (false). If I delete this setting from the enforced config, the setting in the global one will determine the behavior. Right ?

Last edit: BaronVanLunteren 2014-12-03
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-12-03

The config files are processed in order, enforced, KeePass directory, user and the first setting takes preference.

Notification should be automatic for threads where you've posted. Check the settings under your preferences to see if you will receive mail - top right corner, click Me > Account Settings.

cheers, Paul

• Found notification on https://ehc.ac/p/keepass/discussion/329220/. there is a suscription (email) icon on the right hand side op the 'Open Discussion' bar.

• wellread1
      wellread1
      2014-12-04

That will e-mail all post in the discussion forum. I don't believe there is a way to follow a single thread.

• So I already noticed. I will unsubscribe. My topic is done anyway. Thanks again for your contribution