Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Updating Keypass

2014-02-09
2014-02-10
  • Terry McCarty
    Terry McCarty
    2014-02-09

I have not updated my Keypass software in quite a while. I am at version 1.26 and the current version now is 2.25. I tried to update it but was unsucessful. Can somebody explain to me how you update to a newer version. I am somewhat computer illeterate, please provide details. Thank you. My email address is tandlmccarty@gmail.com.

• Horst
    Horst
    2014-02-09

Create a new database with version 2.25 and import your data from version 1.26.
    Thats easy even for beginners.

• Hi Terry,

The versions 1.26 ans 2.25 are not two versions separated by time, as much as they are two separate "models" of KeePass, and they have quite different requirements for running on your computer. To get an inkling of the major differences, look at this comparison between the two (1.x and 2.x) here: http://keepass.info/compare.html

Why didn't your update work? Well, the two "models" are installed to different folders, and any unchanged or unexchanged shortcut you use will still point to the 1.x version. This means that if you already had version 1.26 installed and then downloaded and ran the installer for 2.25, you'll now have two parallel installations of KeePass on your computer – one for 1.x and one for 2.x.

If you can and want to use the 2.x series instead of the 1.x ditto, then backup all the database files (.kdb) you have, and other important data, and uninstall the 1.x version. Then open KeePass 2 and do what Horst suggested above, import your 1.x databases (.kdb) into KeePass 2 in order to turn them into 2.x databases (*.kdbx).

Best of luck,

Mikael

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-10

There is no requirement to upgrade to the latest version unless you want the new features. V1.26 is stable and reliable and has fewer software demands than V2.

cheers, Paul