Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

New Plugin KP Entry Templates

2010-03-13
2014-06-21
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-13

I am pleased to announce Entry Templates for KeePass (version 2.10 and greater):
    http://keepass.info/plugins.html#kpentrytemplates

The plugin was developed for everyone who wishes they could have various custom fields in their entries or have better templating support than whats included with KeePass.   3rd party plugins using KeePass to store non-traditional information will also find it very valuable as a way of showing a custom GUI for creating and editing entries only collecting the information needed.   The great part is KPEntryTemplates integrates right into the standard Edit Entry window as just another tab.    It also has some bulk right click functions added to the template management.   Below are some pictures (slightly outdated version but all the same).   There are two primary screens the GUI Builder screen that shows up once you edit (or declare a new) template parent, note these entries must be in the official Template folder (or sub folder) for the database.   The other screen is the screen shown when adding/editing an entry as a child of that template.  Existing entries can be converted through the Template tab on an existing entry.   For more detail on functionality read the KPEntryTemplates-Usage.txt in the ZIP file.
    I am open to any suggestions, comments, bugs people have, you can either post here or email me at mitch dot capper at gmail .     I am a bit busy lately but will try to release new versions as I can.

Much thanks to Dominik who added several features to 2.10 to make this plugin possible!

• Kev
    Kev
    2010-03-13

Hi,

What a great plugin! I've had a play with it and it is great. Am I correct in thinking that the plugin creates a "front end" so to speak of information that is then stored in the string fields of Keepass?

One suggestion, if it's possible or not, would be to have the option of a "drop down" list. So, in your example above for the credit card information, you could create a drop down option with user customizable titles, so you could have a field called Card Type and a drop down list of Visa, Mastercard etc. This could also be useful for other things such as Title (Mr, Mrs, Miss etc.)

Thanks for work on the plugin though, it is great and I'm sure lots of people will get a great deal of benefit from it

:-)

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-13

You are completely correct its a frontend.  It has direct advantages for users but also some really nice advantages for Plugins that use KeePass to store information,  plugins that store say form data or other information in keepass can now have a nice gui for editing rather than having to make their own, in addition a user opening an entry from one of these plugins will be automatically then directed to the GUI offering the user a nice interface without them having to go through the plugin too.

A dropdown list would be a nice addition the main trick would be figuring out how to allow the user to pick the fields (just looking at my GUI template builder I don't see an easy way to add it).  I will try to think about it some more but if someone has an idea of how to do it cleanly I could code the rest.

• Kev
    Kev
    2010-03-13

Brilliant, thanks for the information.

I did have one other idea (sorry!)

Is it possible to add an option to have the icon that is currently associated with the entry to be displayed on the template tab?

Thanks again!

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-13

That I can do, thanks for the idea. 

• Kev
    Kev
    2010-03-13

No problem, sorry for being a pain! :-)

• Hello,
    I hvae one problem. I do not have the "init"-Button.
    I only have the "set template parent" Button.
    Do you know why?
    I have version 2.10 of keepass.

Thank U

• The one who car read is in advantage.

Sorry. Found it out.

Bye

• The one who can read is in advantage.

Sorry. Found it out.

My keyboard is crazy.

Bye

• Kev
    Kev
    2010-03-14

Hi,

Me again, sorry! One other thought. Would it be possible so that when you select Notes as the field, it is a box like the original Keepass notes section, instead of being just one line?

• Shalamov
    Shalamov
    2010-03-14

Hi,

I don't have "Init As Template" button.

--
    Windows 7 x32
    KeePass 2.10
    Installed plugins: DataBaseBackup, Entry Templates for KeePass

• Hello,

read the TXT file.
    You habe to set a default-Template-Folder in KP. There you create an entry and there's the "init"-Button.

OK?!

• mranybody
    mranybody
    2010-03-15

As above, I’m without the “Init As Template” button, and despite reading the .txt several times. I guess I’m missing the point. It happens to me and my car keys on occasions too – they’re right in front of me on the table, but somehow, occasionally I don’t immediately see them! Drives me nuts. :-D

Anyway, the text file says, “(Init As Template shows up if it is in the Template Group for the database)” and “The plugin relies on you having set a Template Group for the database, so make sure you do this and store your templates in this folder.”

I take this instruction to mean create a Group within the group / folder tree in the left panel of my KP GUI, and name it ‘Template’. I’ve done that, and created an entry within that group (as well as re-started KP). But still, I only have the ‘Set As Template Parent’ within the template tab of Edit Entry. Which when I click, I get the ‘Select Parent Template Entry’ dialogue which offers me no entries to select from (despite having over 100 entries in my KP). Not sure how to get out of this one, and I’m taking ederhj’s post (#12) to mean the same thing.

Now, I feel I’m gonna look like a fool with this since I’m missing something so damned obvious, but nonetheless, a pointer would be much appreciated. Looks like it’s gotta be a simple one too!!

Thanks guys. And my thanks goes to Mitch too – your plugin opens up so many new uses for me …… eventually!

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-15

Very sorry its something of a hidden feature of keepass,   you do NOT need to call it TEMPLATE the name does not matter, what matters is that it is selected in the database settings.  File->Data Savings then click the Templates tab,  and select your Templates folder.  Then it will show up properly.

• mranybody
    mranybody
    2010-03-15

Mitch,

Thank you. I was thinking the solution must be simple! And yes, it is simple.

I never thought to look in File > Database Settings. There is now a new tab there called Templates. I then choose the KP group, and then I have the Init As Template button. Perfect!

Now I am free to play!!

Many thanks Mitch.

• mranybody
    mranybody
    2010-03-16

Mitch,

Can I make a small feature request?

I see the drop down-arrow on the in Add Entry button on the Tool Bar to access my template.

I'd like to request the same arrow on Add Entry in Edit menu because I've always kept the 'Show Toolbar' unchecked in the View menu. With the arrow for my template in the Edit menu, I'd be able to keep it like that.

Many thanks.

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-16

Thanks mranybody, you may be better to submit that request at:  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=95013&atid=609911  (feature requests for keepass proper).   My plugin is really tapping the Template system native to keepass, so the drop down arrow on the Add Entry toolbar is not me thats KeePass proper, thus adding it to the Edit menu's add entry would probably also be best implemented by keepass proper.

• WindowsStar
    WindowsStar
    2010-03-16

Mitch,

Thank you for making this Plug-In, seems many wanted something like this and I am glad everyone read my original requests and this was born.

Question: How do I get the new template information to show up in the list? I have the defaults set but how do I add the column to the list.

The default has: Title | User Name | Password | URL | Notes
    I have:
    Title               | User Name             | Password    | URL   | Notes

Local Administrator | admin                 | *********** |       |Windows XP Systems
    Local Administrator | administrator    | *********** |       |Windows Embedded Systems
    Local Administrator | admin                 | *********** |       |Windows Vista Systems
    Local Administrator | administrator    | *********** |       |Windows 7 Systems

I want to add the new template to this list. Mine is Description so I want it to look like this:

Description         | Title               | User Name             | Password    | URL     | Notes

Civic Building      | Local Administrator | admin                 | *********** |         |Windows XP Systems
    Civic Center        | Local Administrator | administrator     | *********** |         |Windows Embedded Systems
    Art Center            | Local Administrator | admin                  | *********** |         |Windows Vista Systems
    Labs                     | Local Administrator | administrator     | *********** |         |Windows 7 Systems

The Description is from the template. This way I can run down the 500 Admin Password Titles and see what they go too quickly.

I hope I explained that correctly.

Thanks again.

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-16

I understand your question, unfortunately the plugin was not meant to address your needs.   While my GUI will allow you to easily add the description field to the edit entry and right click options it does not help with the default list view.    The main problem with altering the default list view is that you cannot support multiple templates in one group.  Lets say you had a template with a Description column and one template with a Location column,  obviously you couldn't show both so do you show Description first then location?  Show only one? Its ambiguous and not really related to the Entry Template plugin. 

I do believe multiple people would this the ability for custom columns its tricky to do right but I think it may be possible to accomplish it with hooks that a plugin could access.   Unfortunately I am not sure I have the desire to write that plugin but it probably is possible.  I imagine a simplified version could just say, for group X what Advanced Strings do you want to show in the main view, if it doesn't exist it just gets skipped for that entry.

• Jojo
    Jojo
    2010-03-26

I create a group called Template.

I go to File->Database Settings and make sure that the name "Templates" is listed as a Templates group.

I now return to the main window and add a new entry to the group "Template".

With this new entry open, I click on the Template tab and see one entry:

"Init As Template"

SO I click on this entry and the form for building out the fields in the template appears.

I build out the fields keeping everything the same except that I add one custom field called "Email" before URL.

I appear to be done, so I click OK.

The entry appears in the group Template.

I exit KeePas and then restart it.

But when I open the single entry under my new TEMPLATE group, I DO NOT see the new email field. 

This is what I see at the bottom of the main window:

Group: Template, Password: ********, _etm_position_@confirm: 3, _etm_position_@exp_date: 7, _etm_position_Email: 4, _etm_position_Notes: 6, _etm_position_Password: 2, _etm_position_Title: 0, _etm_position_URL: 5, _etm_position_UserName: 1, _etm_template: 1, _etm_title_@confirm: Password Confirm, _etm_title_@exp_date: Expiry Date, _etm_title_Email: Email, _etm_title_Notes: Notes, _etm_title_Password: Password, _etm_title_Title: Title, _etm_title_URL: URL, _etm_title_UserName: Username, _etm_type_@confirm: Protected Inline, _etm_type_@exp_date: Date Time, _etm_type_Email: Inline, _etm_type_Notes: Protected Inline, _etm_type_Password: Protected Inline, _etm_type_Title: Inline, _etm_type_URL: Inline, _etm_type_UserName: Inline, Creation Time: 3/18/2010 9:03:33 PM, Last Access Time: 3/18/2010 9:18:05 PM, Last Modification Time: 3/18/2010 9:09:03 PM

Does anyone have any idea as to what I am doing wrong and how to fix whatever it is that I am not doing correctly?

• Drs. Prei
    Drs. Prei
    2010-03-26

Selest a group (NOT the template group) to which you will add a new entry. Click on the Add entry button. Click on the template tab. Click on the button "Set Template Parent". Select your template from the list (probably there will only be one there, the one you just made). Voilà, there it is.

Succes

• hadez11
    hadez11
    2010-03-27

is it possible to change the tab name 'template' (next to 'Entry' ; 'advanced'…)? I'd like to translate it into German. Do i have to download the source code an recompile it (after having changed the tab's name)?

• Mitch Capper
    Mitch Capper
    2010-03-27

Hello hadez,  I am sorry it is totally not language friendly right now.  I will try and get a version that uses the standard keepass translation functionality (or something similar) out within a week or so, so that you can easier change the language in it.

• hadez11
    hadez11
    2010-03-27

Sounds good ;)

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)