Synchronisation with preview

2014-02-13
2014-02-14
  • Ingo Freitag
    Ingo Freitag
    2014-02-13

Hi,

I'm synchronising my local and mobile databases and everything is working fine and smooth.
    When the time interval between the synchronisations is too big.
    It sometimes happens, that I've updated on both sides and I would like to revert a change, since I did it on both sides (but slightly different).

For this it would be very helpful, if the changes on both sides could be reviewed before.

What do you think about this problem/idea? Am I the only one where this functino might come handy?

Cu
    Ingo

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-13

Can you provide an example of creating an inconsistent entry that is difficult to repair after synchronization using currently available tools (e.g. the entry's History)?

I think a sync preview or a rollback feature would be complicated and have value only in limited situations. For example, one of the more common sync configurations involves syncing multiple local database copies to a central copy of a KeePass database. Previews of prospective changes between one local database and the central database may not capture a complete picture of recent revisions across all synchronized databases.

Currently KeePass retains a per entry revision history with a configurable depth. It can be used to roll back to a less recent version of the entry. Also an appropriately designed backup strategy can provide the ability to "roll back" to a previous complete version of a database if there are major problems. Finally, it is relatively unlikely that a user will create an inconsistent version of truly critical data such as a username or password because a variant of this data is not valid, and it is relatively difficult to accidentally generate an invalid entry that also has the most recent time stamp. In any event the valid data would be contained in the entry's History (if properly configured).

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-13
  • Ingo Freitag
    Ingo Freitag
    2014-02-13

Until now I lost no data. But it happened, that I kept some data twice, because I added it on the tablet and on my primary pc (and I forgot to synchronise). So the next thing I want to try is to create an event for automatic sync at start and exit of KeePass.

With a preview I could 'see' all changes (independent, whether there are collisions or not) to keep them in mind.
    Concerning the effort to implement such a feature, most of the needed functions should already be in place. The detection of changes already works flawlessly and the modifications could be shown in a list just before writing them to the password files. To that list you could add a checkbox to enable/disable the particular modification. (Of course this sounds easier than it'll be, I know ;))

Another possibility could be to add the last modification date as option to the find-dialog. Then it would be possible to get a list of the last changes in a chronological order.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-13

A preview would actually be quite burdensome on the user. To be complete one would need to show all the contents of added, deleted and changed entries in a comprehensible format that can be readily compared and modified by the user in real-time at each sync (presumably as an option). It is unclear (to me) that such a realtime review and modify process would be any easier (even on rare occasions) for the user than occasionally reverting a record using History.

Unless the user always uses the preview feature its value will be limited. If the user uses it occasionally, then that begs the question: Why did the user decide to use it on the particular occasion? If the user suspects a problem, then the user should probably review and fix the suspected problem prior to syncing.

Another possibility could be to add the last modification date as option to the find-dialog. Then it would be possible to get a list of the last changes in a chronological order

If you want to find recently modified entries Sort descending on the "Last modification Time" field across the entire database.

1. To show "Last Modification Time": View>Configure columns... and Check the "Last Modification Time" field
    2. To enable showing & sorting all entries in a single view: Select View & check "Show Entries of Subgroups"
    3. To remove grouping in the View: View>Grouping in Entry List & check OFF.
    4. To show & sort all records:
      • Select the top group.
      • Click on the Last Modification Time heading to sort.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-13
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-13

So the next thing I want to try is to create an event for automatic sync at start and exit of KeePass.

There is a method recomended for event based synchronzation of databases. The example is readily adapated to use on a netowrk or with a database on a flash drive.

• Ingo Freitag
    Ingo Freitag
    2014-02-14

Thanx a lot for your very detailed answers and suggestions.
    The best feature request are those, which have been realised already ;)

Thanks you for the information with the last modification date as well as the link to the example :) I'll test them out.

From my point of view this thread can be closed.