Auto-Type-Window Suggestion

BdR
2005-03-11
2012-11-20
  • BdR
    BdR
    2005-03-11

Sorry if this suggestion has been posted before,
    I really like the new Auto-Type-Window Option!

Could the Item Title be used as a default for the Auto-Type-Window?

Just like the default for Auto-Type: {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}
    the default for Auto-Type-Window could be: {TITLE}*

This would surely make it a lot easier to use with websites.

In that case you would not have to create a Auto-Type-Window for every item, just to make sure that the Title of the Keepass Item is the same as the Title in your browser!

• Dave
      Dave
      2005-03-30

Yea exactly... that would be great!

Even better was to compare the URL in the browser window with the URL in the keepass entry!
      That would remove the need to update the auto type settings every time the site changes they're title!

• Michael Scheer
        Michael Scheer
        2005-03-31

Yes. And unfortunately there are some web forums, which only show "Log In" in the browsers window caption...

• donely
      donely
      2005-03-30

bump!

• Dominik Reichl
      Dominik Reichl
      2005-03-30

Implemented!

In the next version, the default Auto-Type-Window is *{TITLE}* (I've chosen this expression since there are some applications that form their window title like 'Login - ProductName', in this case it is nice to just specify ProductName).

The *{TITLE}* string is used ONLY if there's no other user-defined Auto-Type-Window string. I.e. if an Auto-Type-Window string defined by the user matches the window title, this one is preferred over the default (even if some other entry's title would match first).

Thanks and best regards
      Dominik

• Michael Scheer
        Michael Scheer
        2005-03-30

1. Does this work for global auto type, i.e. I could leave the "Auto-Type-Window:" statement out?

2. Could you possibly make the "Auto-Type-Window:" case insensitive? Would be easier to handle.

• Dominik Reichl
          Dominik Reichl
          2005-03-30

1) Yes, it does (of course, in the next version only). You can leave the Auto-Type-Window statement out. If you don't define a matching Auto-Type-Window string yourself, KeePass will scan the entries to see if one entry title is a substring of the actual window title. If so, this entry is auto-typed.

2) "Auto-Type-Window:" is case-insensitive. It doesn't matter if you write "Auto-Type-Window:", "auto-type-window:" or even "aUtO-tYpE-wInDoW:".

Best regards
          Dominik

• Michael Scheer
            Michael Scheer
            2005-03-30

About 2): I mean the contents of  Auto-Type-Window: --> with "Sourceforge.net" global auto type wouldn't work, it needs "SourceForge.net"

• Dominik Reichl
              Dominik Reichl
              2005-03-30

Whoops, ok :)

The Auto-Type-Window strings are now case-insensitive.

Thanks and best regards
              Dominik

• Even better was to compare the URL in the browser window with the URL in the keepass entry!
      ..... one example please !

• ricky925
      ricky925
      2005-04-04

You are forgetting that some people use the AutoType to log into programs on their PC's. Not only for logging into websites.

And obviously, there is no URL to look for when doing an AutoType to log into programs so I don't think the URL thing would be good.

If you want to see another alternative that I suggested earlier go here:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1259048&forum_id=329220