kdb password exposed

2013-07-29
2013-07-29
  • growerletchi
    growerletchi
    2013-07-29

Not sure why, but for the first time in over 5 years of using KeePass the program icon usually visible in the start menu of my win7 box displayed the PASSWORD used to open my MAIN keepass '.kdb' file.
    The Keepass shortcut on my desktop was also renamed to be the PASSWORD used to open the main file.

Very scary!

Don't know if it is going to help, but about to reboot in hopes it will magically go back to expected behavior.

Been meaning to update but I'm still using version 2.13.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-29

KeePass won't rename your program icon, shortcut or password database. If you didn't change the name to your password, then someone who knows your password is messing with your computer. If that is not possible, then you should scan your computer for malware, particularly key loggers.

Since KeePass 2.15, it has been possible to configure KeePass so that the Enter Master Key dialog appears on the Secure Desktop. This protects the Master Password against most key loggers.

Note: The default file extension of KeePass 2.x databases is .kdbx (.kdb is the default 1.x extension)

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-29