Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

PayPal did not allowing pasting of a new password - grrrrrr!

2013-03-14
2013-04-07
  • G. Weisskopf
    G. Weisskopf
    2013-03-14

Wanted to change my password at PayPal today. For some reason, their system did not allow me to paste the new password in from Keepass, I had to type it, which was not fun given 20 random characters, etc. I've only run into this at one other site, otherwise everybody seems to allow pasting. Any ideas as to why PayPal would force me to type (encouraging errors, key-logging, etc)? I was using Opera browser, but have never had a pasting from Keepass problem with it before.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-03-14

While you can't cut and paste, you can auto-type into it (disable TCATO for the entry first).

• G. Weisskopf
      G. Weisskopf
      2013-03-14

Okay, thanks for mentioning that, good to know. I don't use Auto-type and normally get along fine without it.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-03-15

Have you tried Ctrl V?

cheers, Paul

• G. Weisskopf
      G. Weisskopf
      2013-03-18

Yes, I tried Ctrl-V and also the Edit-Paste command from the menu in my browser, but nothing would paste in my password from Keepass. Also tried this in two browsers, IE 8 and Opera 12, with same results. So, the fact that I can't get around the "no pasting" feature is one thing, but I still don't understand why PayPal would implement such a thing. They allow me to paste in my password when I first log in, and to paste in my existing password when changing it, but they would not allow me to paste in the new password - I had to type it in, twice. And I don't understand why that would increase security or whatever.

• Gordon Venem
    Gordon Venem
    2013-04-07

they might think that you remember it better after typing