Auto-Type for dummies

Brett
2013-09-13
2013-10-15
  • Brett
    Brett
    2013-09-13

All,

I am new to KeePass, new to Sourceforge, and programming/scripting illiterate. But I am a really nice guy. :-) Ok so I'm too thick to understand Auto-Type if someone could explain it to a 3rd grader please respond to this post.
    In the tutorial is states the keystroke sequence is {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER} then the example given is: Auto-Type: {USERNAME}{TAB}{TAB}Some fixed string{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}.
    So why the extra {TAB} and what would go in between the second {TAB} and the third {TAB}? Exactly what would the "Some fixed string" be?

Thanks
    Brett

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-09-13

The example shows you how to modify the default setting to something that works on an unusual page. "Some fixed string" is whatever characters your application requires you to type.
    Try creating a test entry with the title "Notepad", without the quotes and entering the example sequence above. Now open Notepad and press Ctrl Alt A.

cheers, Paul

• Brett
    Brett
    2013-09-19

Paul,

Thank you for trying to help, but I do not think you realize just how stupid I am.

So I created a new entry by going to the Edit menu then Add new entry.
    Named it Notepad then in the auto-type I typed:
    {USERNAME}{TAB}{TAB}Notepad{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}
    Hit Alt-Crt-A <- this is an uppercase “A” right?
    Nothing happens, saved it nothing happens, tried to remove the password since I do not type one to open Notepad, nothing happens.

What if a website you are trying to log into does not use “USERNAME” what if they use ID# or something else? Will {USERNAME} still work?

I know I am an idiot but the help and other sources I am finding just do not help me. I have on stie where it fills in the password but not the username which is actually labeled as “*Login ID:”

Thanks
    Brett

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-09-19

You need to have Notepad in focus before pressing the Global Auto-Type keys.
    There is no need to enter anything in the Auto-Type box, KeePass has a default of {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER} that is uses unless you change it.

cheers, Paul

• John
    John
    2013-10-15

Brett
    KeePass does not read the title Username/ID# from the web page. Lower case a works.

It is best to think of KeePass as

1 User clicks web site (or Notepad) where he wants KeePass to start typing (Note this brings the window where you want the typing to appear into focus)
    2 User then presses ctrl/alt/a
    2 KP looks at the in focus window title, and sees if it can match an entry.
    3 If one entry matches, KP types what is in the AutoType field starting at where you clicked.
    4 When KP types a TAB it is the same as you typing a tab - it jumps to the next field.

So in your example, KP sends the USERNAME, then does two TABS, then sends the characters Notepad, then sends a TAB, then sends the PASSWORD.