Which version of Keepass

dax29
2014-04-29
2014-04-29
  • dax29
    dax29
    2014-04-29

Hi
    I've been using Keepass V1.2 for a number of years on my Windows PC. Over the last 2 years I have also used it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and ASUS Transformer Prime tablet. I currently have a copy of Keepass on all three devices and use Google Drive to access my database.

I use my Windows desktop to make changes/additions to my database then save to Google Drive as I can't save any changes/additions on my phone or tablet.

Could someone let me know if there is a better way of doing this and is there a way to be able to save changes/make additions on my phone and tablet.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Cheers
    Dax

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-29

KeePass 2.x is a better choice for database sharing because its database synchronization feature can synchronize database file contents. While this capability is only available on the PC side of a shared database configuration, any configuration that incorporates database file content synchronization is more convenient than similar configurations that rely exclusively on database replication (e.g. Google Drive alone). Merging changes made on both Android and PC is usually automatic, and if a file collision occurs, it can be merged with the main database easily.

A synchronization trigger on all PC nodes as described at http://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html#dbsync is needed to automate synchronization, but manual synchronization is also possible.

Regardless of whether a trigger is used or not, the preferred file arrangement on the PC side includes two copies of your database:

• a local working copy located outside of a Google Drive folder and
    • a local synchronization copy located in a Google Drive folder.

The arrangement is depicted in the figure describing the synchronization trigger.

• dax29
      dax29
      2014-04-29

Hi wellread1

Thanks for the information, I'll definitely upgrade to Version 2.x

I do keep 2 copies of my database, one on my PC and the other on Google Drive, The PC one is the main one I use and when I make any changes I save it first to the PC then also save a copy to the Google Drive. The Google Drive copy is the one I access from my phone and tablet.

Will V 2.x allow me to save any changes on my phone or tablet, as V1.x doesn't allow it. I currently us KeePassDroid on my phone and tablet.

I have just installed V2.26 and now installing Keepass2Android Password Safe as It appears to allow saving of changes on the phone and tablet.

Thanks again for your reply

Cheers

Dax

• steelej
    steelej
    2014-04-29

KeePass2Android does not seem to support the synchronisation feature found in KeePass on a PC. Unless synchronisation is used there is a risk of losing an update from the phone or tablet if updates are made on both. File replication to the cloud could lose the earlier one. If synchronisation is correctly used on the PC (triggers recommended) then the changes are replicated at the KeeyPass key entry level and a history is kept. See the help section on trigger examples to see a diagram showing how synchronisation works. http://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html

If you are sure that you can ensure that when you make a change on one Android device you will always wait for replication to complete before making any change on the other or on the PC then this will work.