KeePass tray icon

2014-02-10
2014-02-10
  • Hello!

I have a note regarding double clicking KeePass tray icon to activate it.
    Currently by double clicking you can show KeePass window as well as hide, minimize it.
    But this causes the following usability issue: when KeePass is under other windows, the user wants to bring it to front, and he clicks the tray icon (because he always do that when he wants to see the KeePass window). And what does he get? KeePass minimized to tray. And he has to click it again to see the window.
    My suggestion: it's better to only show KeePass window when user clicks the tray icon. No hiding functionality needed. The user can hide the window by minimizing or closing it.
    Or if you want to keep the functionality to hide the window by clicking the tray, it is better to check: if KeePass window is currently in front then hide it, if not then bring it to front.

Thank you!

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-10

The KeePass window may not be in front but to the side and the user does want it hidden, so the current behaviour is correct.
    The taskbar icon shows when KeePass is not hidden and clicking on this brings KeePass to the front, as do most other Windows programs.

cheers, Paul

• Dear Paul,

Well, yes. Maybe someone can use this feature: hiding KeePass by clicking the tray icon when KeePass is in background.

But what is more intuitive and convenient?
    How many users need this in such way, and how many users click KeePass tray icon to see the window but instead of it they lost it (especially when it is configured to be locked when minimizing to tray)?

Look: I click the tray icon, thus KeePass pops up. Then I copy the password to clipboard and go to a browser to paste it. When I switch to the browser, the KeePass window becomes hidden under it. Yes, now the KeePass taskbar button is visible, and when I remember that KeePass is opened, but simply in background, I can use the button. For example, I copy the username, go to browser, then go to KeePass again (using taskbar button), copy password, go to the browser to paste the password. And often after that I forget that KeePass is leaved opened and is simply under my browser and/or other windows. And when I want to see KeePass again, what do I do? I do not look through my taskbar, especially if there are many-many windows are opened -- it is hard to find it. Intuitively I try to click the tray icon to see my KeePass again.

• Horst
    Horst
    2014-02-10

Using Auto-type and the correct settings there is no such scenario.
    It inserts user name and password and minimizes itself into the tray.

The current behavior is ok
    and used by many many users since years without complains.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-10

This would not be an issue if you drag n drop the user / password. Then KeePass stays on top. Alternatively use Global Auto-type.
    You can also set KeePass to minimise on lock, then it drops to the tray for you.

cheers, Paul