Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Cant open KeePass2 anymore. Found invalid data while decoding.

2014-05-05
2014-05-05
  • r3volutionxxx
    r3volutionxxx
    2014-05-05

Hi
    Im new here i just want to find an answer about my problem.
    Ok. Its now the second time that my KeePass2 doesnt work. I open the KeePass2 File .kdbx or i run the KeePass2 Application it doesnt matter. How ever. When i open it i put in the Master Password and thats for 100% sure, it worked every time. Then it sais.

E:\KeePass\NEW**.kdbx
    Failed to load the specified file!
    Found invalid data while decoding.

I didnt delete anything, i havent done anything whats about KeePass. And the Fille i puted on my USB Stick witch is like a Backup doesnt work either. Nothing helps i reinstalled KeePass2 twice, i started it as an Administrator. And thats the second time ive got this problem. So i hope u understand what i mean because my English isnt that good.
    Cheers R3vo

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-05-05

Are you getting the same error on both your main and backup databases? Has either database ever been opened successfully since making the backup?

I haven't encountered the 'Found invalid data while decoding' error message myself but it sounds like your database is damaged. Try repairing it. Repair instruction are at http://keepass.info/help/base/repair.html

Last edit: wellread1 2014-05-05
    • r3volutionxxx
      r3volutionxxx
      2014-05-05

Yeah at both files i got the same error message, and yes i was able to open both successfully. Everything worked good.

• r3volutionxxx
      r3volutionxxx
      2014-05-05

Ok thank you. I Started the damaged file in the repair mode and the most things are back. Im so Glad :)

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-05-05

Check the list of error messages to see exactly which one you are getting.
    http://keepass.info/help/v1/errors.html

cheers, Paul

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-05-05

If you are using Windows Vista or later you may also be able to recover a previous version. The previous version is probably not corrupted and if it is recent, it might contains some entries that you could not recover. Take care not to overwrite you current database if you use the previous version option.