Roadmap to Windows 8 metro app?

Phyle
2012-06-08
2012-12-06
  • Phyle
    Phyle
    2012-06-08

Is there a roadmap to have a metro app version for Windows 8 of KeePass?

• Phyle
    Phyle
    2012-06-08

I know that KeePass works on Windows 8 on x86/x64 but I mean a metro app for supporting Windows RT (ARM)…

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-06-08

We don't really do road maps.
    If it has .NET then KeePass will work.

cheers, Paul

• Phyle
    Phyle
    2012-06-08

Well, according to Microsoft regarding Windows RT devices (running on ARM): "WOA does not support running, emulating, or porting existing x86/64 desktop apps." ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx )  KeePass is one of my most important application and it looks like it won't be compatible with Windows RT devices (previously called WOA back in February) that will be available later this year.

• Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2012-06-08

keepass is no x86/64 app its a cli app, those are architecture independent.
    you should be able to run keepass on sparc, powerpc, ia64, mips, arm, armhf and s390x
    it runs where ever cli is implemented, be it via .net or mono

• I have been goofing around with KeePass source code, porting bits and pieces to WinRT. The goal of my exercise is to create a nice metro style interface to KeePass. That it will work on the ARM Win8 tablet is a great side effect.

What I can say from my efforts so far is that most of the KeePass library can be used as such, biggest change is remapping the calls to System.Security.Cryptography to the newer Windows.Security.Cryptography, as System.Security.Cryptography is deprecated and absent in WinRT.  There are quite many of those calls, but it's pretty easy task.

KeePass UI is based on WinForm, WinForm is not supported in WinRT -> Going WinRT requires a complete UI rewrite.

• Anonymous
    2012-07-21

@blemieux, are you really going to rewrite the UI? Because if you are, it would be nice to add an UI abstraction layer so that others could write native interfaces for Linux and Mac as well.  If you read the forums here, you will find that running KeePass with Mono works decently, but it breaks and does other weird things alot.

• Here is what I have got running so far: http://youtu.be/DcKP1RA82bI. It's running on a Win8 x64 computer, I don't have access to an ARM tablet.
    It's super basic functionality : nothing else than just opening a local database, browse through the entries and copy the password to the clipboard. That covers *my* basic needs already quite well.  I think I'll next take a stab at "open url" functionality.
    @dlech, I am using MVVM pattern for the UI, that could be re-used on other platforms I guess. My VMs are naturally matching the Metro UI Views, and since Metro is quite different from the good old modal UIs that alone may significantly limit the usefulness of my work for other UI framework. And I am heavily using  asynchoneous operations, the file IO and the encryption functionality that are all brand new to WinRT.  But if anyone is interested to use that as a base, be my guest!

• David Lechner
    David Lechner
    2012-08-08

@blemieux, I like it. Do you have the source code posted somewhere? Not that I have time to be playing with it…

• You can fork it at  https://bitbucket.org/blelem/keepass8
    The usal words of warning, it's heavily under construction (obviously) and it's not always clean : the KeePassLib is cluttered with asserts that will fail in every but the simplest use case.e. I practically disabled each and every methods that did not compile under WinRT, and re-enabled/ported one by one the bits that were absolutely needed for opening the file.

• Anonymous
    2012-08-16

@blemieux, this is super cool. Have you looked at making the app snapable (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Snap-Sample-2dc21ee3), so it can share the screen with IE or other apps?

• Sure thing! The snap is only a matter of screen layout, shouldn't be difficult to implement. I must say that I saw the snap apps in the //build presentation and forgot it completely. The feature is relatively hidden in Windows8, I didn't accidently discovered it. I will work on it once I'm done with the URL file support I'm currently implementing.

• Some screen shots of the latest commit:
    FileOpen dialog:
    Main screen with all the password entries :
    One password entry:

• Anonymous
    2012-09-11

I was about to ask the same question…but, at the risk of starting a small argument, perhaps we can all request that Dominik place his official, master repository on a place like BitBucket or GitHub.  That way, we can use features likes forks and branches, pull requests, etc…to centrally update KeePass as a program we all love.

Here is the thread for more info: https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/forums/forum/329220/topic/4478457

The primary issue here is that multiple, unsynced repositories with no clear way to manage changes to the current KeePass development will quickly become unwieldy and unmaintainable.  We want visibility into constant development, not release snapshots of the code.

• I was asked to rename the application, and chose the rather unimaginative name "Pass Jeeves".

The repository can now be found at this adress:
    https://bitbucket.org/blelem/pass-jeeves

For a little while, bitbucket kept the old link alive, but it's obviously dead now.

• Jonas
    Jonas
    2012-11-06

Is there any update to this? I don't want to switch to LastPass, but they're the only thing out there that has a Windows RT app available. :/

• RandyT
    RandyT
    2012-11-12

+1 and a bump.  Would love to see an RT version.  

• Anonymous
    2012-11-14

I'm so hoping that Pass Jeeves is wending its way to the MS Store, blemieux. I'm super excited by the pictures you posted.

The whole "export my keepass xml on my desktop and import it with mSecure" on my Surface is no fun at all (and vaguely scary, with all my passwords blowing around in plaintext :).)

• Kevin Kuebler
    Kevin Kuebler
    2012-12-06

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this thread. I probably should have looked here earlier. For the last couple of months, a coworker of mine and I have been building a WinRT/Metro app for KeePass. We called it MetroPass. It's now available in the store: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/metropass/fa0bacf9-32f3-4036-8f38-327cb7c22bee .

It's a free, ad-supported app. It supports KeePass 2.x databases only. We currently support:

• Opening databases with either a password or password and keyfile
    • Copying user names and passwords
    • Adding and editing groups (we called them "Folders" in the app)
    • Adding and editing entries (we called them "Passwords" in the app)
    • Opening URL's
    • Snapped view
    • Deleting entries (recycle bin not supported yet, but coming soon)
    • Creating new databases with a master password (creating databases with key file support coming soon).

Of course, there are a lot of other features/options in the full KeePass app that we're not supporting yet, but we plan to continue developing the app and adding as many features as we can and that make sense for Metro. Hope you'll try it out and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
    Kevin Kuebler

• RandyT
    RandyT
    2012-12-06

Thanks Kevin! Stumbled across your app just the other day on the store. Very nice.