Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

KeyPass 2.24 saves the key file location

no-sweat
2014-01-15
2014-01-15
  • no-sweat
    no-sweat
    2014-01-15

Hi,

Everytime I open KeyPass it has the key file location already selected. If I uncheck "Remember and automatically open last used database on startup" then I manually go and open the database, the key file path still displays.

It did not save the location using KeyPass 2.10 on Windows 8
    I am now using KeyPass 2.24 on Windows 8.1

Is there an option I'm missing? Any help?

Thanks!

• Horst
    Horst
    2014-01-15

Just look under Options / Advanced / Advanced

• no-sweat
      no-sweat
      2014-01-15

You've got to be kidding me, I looked under that a few times and missed it every time.
      "Remember key sources (key file paths, provider names, ...)"

So obvious :(

Thanks

Last edit: no-sweat 2014-01-15
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-01-15

Saving the path to the key file is not a security issue, storing the key file with the database is. You should have the key file on a USB key etc and the database on the computer or the web/network.

cheers, Paul

• no-sweat
      no-sweat
      2014-01-15

Understood, I read all about that (and the debates about it) while trying to figure this out. I use a password too and I feel confident keeping the key file on the same hard drive as the database. I feel a USB would only be worthwhile if it was locked in a safe but there is no way I'm getting it out of a safe every time I need to use KeePass, I use it much too often. :)