[Suggestion] Lucida Console as the default password font

Raistlin
2014-03-16
2014-04-04
  • Raistlin
    Raistlin
    2014-03-16

Now the default password font is Courier New. It is perhaps the worst choice that could be made: there's no visual difference between '0' (zero) and capital 'O' and between '1' (one) and small 'L'. I suggest to use Lucida Console as the default password font as it hasn't have such issues.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-03-16

As you don't need to read passwords it shouldn't be an issue - drag n drop, copy / paste, Auto-Type.
    I use Consolas if I need to read 0/O.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-03-16

Excluding look-alike characters in the Password Generator is a reasonable workaround. A very small reduction of password strength occurs when the most common look alike characters are excluded from random passwords that are based on reasonable character sets.

Password strength (bits) of a random password is reduced by ~2% when the characters:

• O 0 | I 1 l are eliminated from printable ASCII set (6.57 bits/char to 6.47 bits/char).
    • O 0 I 1 l are eliminated from case sensitive alphanumeric set (5.95 bits/char to 5.83 bits/char).
    • 1 l are eliminated from the lower case alphanumeric set (5.17 bits/char to 5.09 bits/char).

• Gordon Venem
    Gordon Venem
    2014-04-04

Paul: People also use KeePass for passwords not used on a PC. Even on a PC some applications don't allow pasting.

wellread1: This won't help for passwords that you can't generate or modify yourself.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-04

wellread1: This won't help for passwords that you can't generate or modify yourself.

Correct, you have to remember not to use look-alike characters. There are only a few.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-04

Chances are the reason that Courier New is the default is that it is ubiquitous.