Auto-type access to multiple accounts?

2013-12-16
2014-04-09
  • Pete d'Oronzio
    Pete d'Oronzio
    2013-12-16

I keep 2 databases. One for personal stuff and one for business related (that others have access to) When I want to use auto-type, I press the hotkey and it defaults to the last database I had open. It would be helpful to have a choice to change databases right there. (i.e. a dropdown or similar)
    I wouldn't mind poking around to see if I can implement this myself, but I thought I should ask if either: 1. it's already implemented somewhere 2. it's a security breach that shouldn't exist 3. there is some other reason I shouldn't do it.
    Thanks,
    Pete

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-16

There is no option to select a database upon pressing the auto-type button. However you can create a KeePass setup that effectively defines a separate auto-type hot-key for each database.

1. Install two copies of portable KeePass
    2. Set each installation to run multiple instances (un-check "Limit to single instance" in Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Start and Exit(section)
    3. Assign each installation a different global hot key (Tools>Options>Integration(tab))
    4. Finally configure each installation to open a specific database (using a shortcut with a command line switch or a trigger).

• Pete d'Oronzio
      Pete d'Oronzio
      2013-12-18

Thanks for that suggestion. It makes sense.
      What do you/others think about having the KeePass login box capable of selecting a database rather than just showing it as a label?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-18

What do you/others think about having the KeePass login box capable of selecting a database rather than just showing it as a label?

I think there is merit in keeping the number of choices available on the Enter Master Key dialog to the absolute minimum (e.g. to only those inputs needed to open the preselected database).

Also there are already a number of ways to control what database is opened/unlocked. Depending on what one is trying to accomplish, one can select the active database from the tab, use a command line, or un-check the limit to single instance option and run each database in its own workspace, or use a trigger to set the active database on close/lock or to open/close a database. A dialog that asks the user to make a choice when the correct database is already selected may be more of a nuisance than having to go back and select the desired database.

BTW: auto-type already searches all un-locked databases.

• David Anderson
      David Anderson
      2014-04-09

You say that auto-type already searches all unlocked databases, but it doesn't seem to do that on my system. It only searches the first database. I am running Keepass 2.25. Is there some configuration I need to set to get it to search all unlocked databases?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-09

There is no setting, but the databases need to be open in the same Workspace.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-09

Having the databases unlocked in multiple tabs will allow search to work. Having one database locked will not prompt you to unlock.

cheers, Paul