KeePass with Android

2014-07-13
2014-07-14
  • Stuart Wilson
    Stuart Wilson
    2014-07-13

Installed KeePass (2.27) on PC (Win 8.1) and am using DropBox for my encrypted file. I download KeePassDroid (v. 1.99.11) on my Android. I open DropBox on my Android and navigate to my encrypted file (.kdbx). When I open this file my Android automatically opens KeePassDroid and prompts me for a "password and/or key file to access your database". I don't use a key file so I enter my password but I keep getting, "invalid password or key file". I'm using the same password to access my database from my PC and that works fine.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-07-14

It works for me on Android 4.3, with Dropbox and KeePass 2.27 on Win 7 Home Premium (OS doesn't matter, neither does the KeePass version if it is reasonably recent).

• Is your KeePass database linked to a Windows User Account by any chance? If it is you must Change the Master Key and unlink it before the database will open on a different computer ('File>Change Master Key...').
    • Did you select 'show password' and verify that you didn't make a typing error when the entered your password?
    • Was the path to a key file (just above the OK button) empty?

Notes:

• Always backup your database before changing the Master Key (in case of user error).
    • You must save the database and resynchronize with Dropbox after changing the Master Key.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-07-14
  • Stuart Wilson
    Stuart Wilson
    2014-07-14

Thanks. I went back to the PC, clicked File->Change Master Key, changed it to the very same password but made sure "Windows User Account" wasn't checked and now everyone is happy.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-07-14

When you check the windows user account box the Windows User Account becomes part of the Master Key.

Going forward: Use the Windows User Account link with care. See the warning at http://keepass.info/help/base/keys.html#winuser