First Step tutorial not working

2013-07-27
2013-07-27
  • Bill proctor
    Bill proctor
    2013-07-27

I am a new user and would like to find out how to actually use Keepas. I have a master password that works and I can enter passwords and IDs FROM My reference but tried using the first step tutorials to find ou to use it with my browser and I can't use the link. Any suggestions?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-27

The first step tutorial is a little vague when it comes to describing the Auto-Type feature which is the principal method KeePass implements to type entry data into forms.

To demonstrate basic default auto-type (assumes a default KeePass setup):

1. Create a new entry titled "Form" without the quotes
    2. Fill in some dummy username & password information
    3. In the URL field enter "http://keepass.info/help/kb/testform.html" without the quotes.
    4. Press OK to close the entry
    5. Disable Auto-type for "Sample Entry #2" (This entry exists in every new KeePass 2.x database and demonstrates a more advanced auto-type feature)
      • Double click on the Title of "Sample Entry #2" located in the top group.
      • Click on the Auto-Type tab
      • Uncheck "Enable auto-type for this entry"
      • Press OK to close the entry
    6. Double click on the URL of the entry titled "Form". Your default browser will open the KeePass Test Form web page with the cursor in the User name: field. (At other sites, if the page opens with the cursor somewhere else you must place it at the starting point for typing.)
    7. Press Ctrl-Alt-A (the default global auto-type key)
    8. KeePass will type the username and password that you entered into the KeePass entry into the form fields on the Test Form web page.

How it works

KeePass checks to see if there is an entry whose Title is contained in the browser window title (the text on the browser tab, NOT the URL in the browser address bar). In our case, the word "Form" is present in the browser tab text and in a KeePass entry, so KeePass performs the default auto-type sequence {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}

It is also possible to create custom auto-type sequences. Sample Entry #2 demonstrates this capability. You may wish to read the auto-type help section that I referenced above for more information.

Note: Another description of how global auto-type works is describe in the Global Auto-Type Hot Key section of the auto-type help page.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-27