Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

introducing debian/ubuntu keepass2 package

2011-04-25
2014-11-06
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2011-04-25

Hi,
    a package for keepass2 was recently uploaded into the debian archives.
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/keepass2

This makes it easier for you to install keepass and all its dependencies under mono and integrates it with the standard freedesktop.
    It is currently in unstable and will migrate to testing in a few days.

It is not included in ubuntu yet. It will be in the main archives in the over next version 11.01 (oneric)
    To accommodate 11.04 and 10.10 users I have set up a ppa:
    https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/keepass

to use it type into a terminal:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install keepass2

KeePass language files (*.lngx) should be placed in $XDG_DATA_HOME/KeePass
    If $XDG_DATA_HOME is not set it defaults to $HOME/.local/share

The XSL transformation style sheets for exporting databases and the documentation are
    installed in /usr/share/keepass2/

known issues:
    Multiple instances of KeePass are disabled as the communication between
    them is broken on unix systems (will be fixed next release).

The KeePass plugins are untested and may not work correctly.
    They currently have to be placed in into /usr/lib/keepass2/
    but this is not recommended as files in that location may be overwritten by package upgrades in future.

Please report bugs related to the package to the debian or ubuntu bug trackers and not to this site here.

• Great news thnx. Tested on Ubuntu 10.10 all ok.

• Thanks a lot! It's also working nicely here on Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit.

• ubuntuser7823
    ubuntuser7823
    2011-04-28

This is excellent! Works great on the latest version of Ubuntu (11.04 64-bit). Thank you Keepass!! Saved my life

• Excellent, an official ubuntu package is very much appreciated.

Please add links for where to submit bugs, I couldn't find where to submit a bug based on the information you originally provided.

I am getting the error "The requested feature is not implemented" when trying to open a database from an FTP url.

• Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2011-04-30

its probably not synced to all mirrors yet, give it a bit more time.

• Anonymous
    2011-05-05

Glad to see one of my favorite programs comes to my favorite OS. Hope to see interesting integrations like gnome applets and even to start to use the gnome keyring http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring ;)

• Rick
    Rick
    2011-05-19

Note the following command might not work:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass

Instead try:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass
    (note the add and apt flip)

If still not work, try:
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

Then one of the apt-add or add-apt commands as described here and in original instructions

• Does it works in ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

• Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2011-05-27

keepass only supports mono >= 2.6 which is not available in 10.04.
    There is the badgerports ppa which provides 2.6 for 10.04:
    http://badgerports.org/

you should be able to use the the >= 10.10 keepass packages with the mono version from badgerports.
    You can download the packages here:
    https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/keepass/+packages
    but it may not work.

• T-Monster
    T-Monster
    2011-06-03

Just to confirm that I have KeePass running on 10.04 LTS (Lucid)

I already had Badger Ports in my repository list, so (from the previous post) I'm presuming that helped :¬)

I noticed that the repository only has "maverick" and "natty" dists setup, so I just opened Synaptic, opened the "Other Software" in the repositories, found keepass and edited the distribution field from "lucid" -> "maverick"

Returning to Synaptic, I reloaded the package info and it all worked - along with a few dependancies it knew it needed.

Great work! Thanks!

I'm not saying that's the best way of getting the problem solved, but it worked for me :¬)

• Shalbatana
    Shalbatana
    2011-06-06

running 11.04 Ubuntu on a eeepc 900 series, and the database is on a USB key. package works just fine.

One note:
    1) The installer didn't create a program icon, rather I still have to right-click on the database and select "open with keepass". This is fine, but I wanted to let everyone know in case they're a Linux newb like me and have no idea what to do.

Thank you so much for this. It was such a hassle for us linux primatives to figure out what to do previously. Last time I ended up getting it working, but I know I installed way too many mono packages, etc. that I didn't need. I was half way through doing it again when I found this thread with the good news.

This program is a godsend, especially since I regularly work on Windows and Mac, and have Linux on the laptop.

• Anthony Blond
    Anthony Blond
    2011-06-09

Tested under Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64, works.
    Similar issue to Shalbatana: No icon when added to main launcher menu. Will have to add manually.
    Brilliant program. Been using it under Windows for a while, when I switched to linux on laptop couldn't access the version 2 database, so had to install keepass2 via wine. This new version is awesome. Just donated what I could afford.

• Peter Matthews
    Peter Matthews
    2011-06-10

I installed KeePass2 into Ubuntu  following the instructions, with no problems. However the result is of no use to me. I have Ubuntu on my travelling netbook, and XP SP3 on my desktop - which runs KeePass 1.x. There seems to be no way of getting the desktops 1.x kdb file read into Ubuntu. Or, hopefully, I am wrong???

• Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2011-06-10

the keepass2 package does not include the keepass 1 import libraries.
    But keepassx, which is compatible with keepass 1, is also packaged in ubuntu/debian.

• Peter Matthews
    Peter Matthews
    2011-06-10

Worked for me - thanks!

• Tom Howe
    Tom Howe
    2011-06-18

I have a newly installed lucid lynx (netbook version) and the sudo apt-get update fails on a 404 for this
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/jtaylor/keepass/ubuntu/dists/lucid/binary-i386/Package.gz

Checking the site reveals ppa.launchpad.net/jtaylor/keepass/ubuntu/dists has a maveric and natty, but no lucid.
    Is there something else I can try?

• Tom Howe
    Tom Howe
    2011-06-18

About lucid lynx, I just saw t-monster's work around.  I got to Synaptic, but could not find any "other software".  I'm a bit of a novice, that.  How do I find it?

• Chris Currier
    Chris Currier
    2011-06-22

Thanks t-monster for the tip - worked fine. pipertom, the edit may be made under System/administration then Software Sources. In Other Software. look for 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jtaylor/keepass/ubuntu' highlight then click the edit button. Change Distribution from lucid to maverick. Close software sources. In terminal do an update 'sudo apt-get update', then Synaptic should show two versions of keepass - select keepass2. Synaptic does have a link to software sources under settings, repositories (FYI). Enjoy lynx….

• Hunter
    Hunter
    2011-06-22

Is it possible to have portable version of keepass for ubuntu?

• skymarshal
    skymarshal
    2011-06-28

Thanks t-monster, that worked for me too on Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04.

Only problem is that the keepass2-docs package won't install without uninstalling keepass2.  Anyone know why that might be?

• Julian Taylor
    Julian Taylor
    2011-06-28

I made a small mistake in the ppa version. Should be fixed in version ~ppa2

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)