Last Access Time gone?

plågar
2013-11-05
2013-11-08
  • plågar
    plågar
    2013-11-05

I see that in KeePass 2.24 that the Last Access Time are not shown anymore. Is there a way to re-enable it somehow? I switched back to 2.23 because of it. If it can be re-enabled somehow, I'd be glad to start using 2.24 again.

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-11-06

No, there is no option to show the last access times again, and I'm not planning to add one.

For what do you need the last access times? Usually only the last modification times are interesting.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-06

KP access time is very useful when servers do also log access times. A couple of sites I use on a regular basis actually do it.

Creation times are much less useful than access times.

What was the problem with displaying all timestamps?

Bad decision IMHO.

Regards,
    Etienne

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-11-06

KeePass only prompts to save a database if there are unsaved changes. A change of a last access time is not considered to be an unsaved change (otherwise KeePass would basically prompt to save the database every time when trying to close the database, and this would be bad for a lot of reasons). So, unless the user explicitly saves the database every time manually, changed last access times are lost. Consequently, last access times are not useful for logging.

Creation times are different from modification times, and both will continue to be shown. Only the last access times are deprecated.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-06

Dominik,

I understand your point of view: you prefer to display nothing rather than a wrong piece of information in most cases.

I have set up a trigger in order to save the DB automatically and unconditionally on close, thus I do not loose any DTA.

Lots of popular sites do actually log and display DTAs: Paypal, Yahoo, FastMail etc.

While I do not remember having ever used DTCs, they do not bother me.

An option for displaying DTAs (well documented, with a clear warning) would definitively be useful in a future release.

Like the OP, I am back to 2.23 for now.

Regards,
    Etienne

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-11-06

As KeePass doesn't have any direct option to always force saving the database, I'm not going to add an option to display last access times again. I don't think it would be useful to add options that by default are confusing (in the sense that the option results in behaviors looking like bugs) and only make sense in conjunction with additional software/configuration. Maybe someone wants to write a plugin that combines the required features.

If you wish a last access time column in the main entry list in KeePass 2.24, add the following to the configuration file (in the node Configuration/MainWindow/EntryListColumnCollection):

<Column>
        <Type>LastAccessTime</Type>
        <Width>135</Width>
    </Column>

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-07

Dominik,

The option would be DISABLED by default (same behaviour as KP 2.24) and would therefore not be confusing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is just a matter of a few lines of code, no?

The DTA column (main window) was already available in previous KP versions. I guess people who chose to display it (I am not one of them) had to use a dedicated trigger at the same time: there is no other easy way for keeping DTAs up to date.

The DTA field is still available and updated internally, why?

I may have missed something, but I did not see anyone complaining about "buggy" DTAs on these forums.

I do not want a DTA column in the main entry list, because unfortunately most sites do not log / display DTAs, making it useless.

I would make another donation just to see the DTA field back in the entry window as an option ;-)

I am going to stick with 2.23. Sad...

Regards,
    Etienne

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-07

Dominik,

Thank you very much for taking my arguments into account.

Sorry, I was honestly not aware of those complaints.

I will check out the patched version later and give you some feedback.

I knew you are a smart guy ;-)

I will honour my pledge ASAP.

Regards,
    Etienne

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-07

Dominik,

KeePass_131107 does perfectly work here, restoring the former behaviour regarding DTA fields.

I keep on testing this version.

A little suggestion: you could maybe write in the documentation ("Specifying UI Element States") about the possibility of using triggers instead of manual savings...

Thank you again for your open-mindedness and your reactivity.

Best regards,
    Etienne

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-11-08

I've added a note that a save can also be forced e.g. by a trigger or plugin.

Best regards,
    Dominik

PS: I've received your donation, thanks a lot :-)

• Etienne
    Etienne
    2013-11-08

You are welcome.

Financially contributing to such a great project like KeePass looks sane and natural to me :-)

Best regards,
    Etienne

Last edit: Etienne 2013-11-08