Is this possible?

Josh
2014-02-03
2014-02-04
  • Josh
    Josh
    2014-02-03

I did some preliminary searching and thought I had it figured out but trying it doesn't seem to work like I think it should.

I have a keepass database, so does my wife. Each have separate, unique passwords. I'd like to create a 3rd 'shared' database that I can put shared credentials in.

I tried creating a 3rd database with it's own password and then copying entries from my file to it with the intention of using the 'synchronization' feature to sync any changes from my database to it, but when I try, I get an error that the composite keys don't match.

Is there a way to create either a database or entries that reference another file?

--JOsh

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-04

A database pair must share the same Master Key to be synchronized. Therefore the shared database should have a Master Key different from either yours or your wife's database. You can initialize the shared database by copying entries that you want to share from your personal database. However it is not possible to synchronize only that subset of entries between your personal database and the shared database. Consequently it is preferable to decide whether an entry should be shared or personal, and maintain the entry in the corresponding database exclusively.

The KeeAutoExec plugin and some well selected triggers (e.g. activate a particular database on closing/locking; or create a button to open the shared database) can greatly simplify management of multiple databases.

The recommended synchronization trigger can automate synchronization of a shared database over a network or via a cloud file replication service (e.g. DropBox, OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), or GoogleDrive).

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-04