using autotype for mail application with several requests for passwords in a line

schlseb
2014-08-03
2014-08-04
  • schlseb
    schlseb
    2014-08-03

Hi everybody,

I just started using Keepass and I could create my first entries for LogIn sites without greater problems (although it did take some time - would be nice if you would include an example of how to use autotype with a site that does not set the focus to the Username field).

What I have not figured out yet, is how to use it with my e-mail application in a propper way. I use Thunderbird with several mailadresses/accounts in one profile, so when opened, it shows me more than 2 password input dialogs (usernames are not needed here as stored with the account in the application) one after another. This means I would need an autotype structure like {Password1}{Enter}{Password2}{Enter}{Password3}{Enter}... whereas after each Enter the current Dialog is closed an the next opens. Is there a simple solution to this?

Thanks in advance.
    Sebastian

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-08-03

The usage example says you need to have the cursor in the user name field.
    http://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html#autoexample

I would set up Auto-Type sequences for each of the passwords you need, giving each of them the same Target Window details. Now when you press Ctrl Alt A KeePass will prompt you to choose which of the passwords you require.
    Target Windows are set in the "Auto-Type" tab of the entry in V2 and the "Notes" field of V1.

cheers, Paul

• schlseb
    schlseb
    2014-08-03

I will try that. I think my main problem with it is that in past I used the masterkey function of thunderbird and the passwords were stored in the program, but I doubt this is secure. The advantage compared to the suggestd solution with keepass is I had only to type password and press enter at program start. I hoped for a similar simple solution with keepass.

To the example: You are right, but I didn't recall the example and actually it comes last. And my intention was to spare the extra clicks to get in the username field, because there are sites I visit where I just don't want something else, but unfortunately the website owners do. So finally I had to add a lot of *{TAB}, {Enter} and {Tab} before {Username} to reach this. What I wanted to say is that I needed some time to get the pieces of information I needed together (mainly that focus problem and that I've to trigger it manually with a global key).
    Perhaps the true reason of my problems is a wrong expactation with the program - which regardless I think is good. But I think a hint in "using entries" in firststeps.html at AutoType and its capabilities and that it is not possible to get the field inputs username/password directly with opening of websites might be helpful for an easy start. Because the two methods mentioned here (Copy to Clipboard and Drag & Drop) sound rather impracticable to me (switch window, select entry and so on). But this is only a suggestion.

Last edit: schlseb 2014-08-03
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-08-04

Adding lots of Tabs can be unreliable if the page changes even slightly. It's much easier to put the cursor in the user name field and then press the Global Auto-Type hot keys.

Drag n Drop does not require switching windows. Once KeePass is on top D&D works easily.

I agree, the Help could be clearer on the use of Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-08-04

schlseb, your wish is our command - nearly. The Help has been updated to make the cursor position requirement clear.

cheers, Paul