Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Proxy Authentication

Help
2009-10-21
2014-02-10
  • Andrew Venmore
    Andrew Venmore
    2009-10-21

Crashes KeePass when run on network with NTLM authentication proxy server. Message " The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.".

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2009-11-02

Version 1.2 should prevent this error condition from causing KeePass to crash. I tested with Fiddler2 since I don't have an actual NTLM authentication proxy server to hand - confirmation of the fix will be appreciated.

Unfortunately, this won't be enough to get the downloads working through this proxy server. I have read about a number of possible ways to handle proxy authentication but there seem to be a few differing opinions on the subject and with some mentioning sending "default credentials" to authenticate I would like to be sure I fully understand what the security implications of sending said credentials are.

Also, I think that the "correct" way to handle this problem is for KeePass itself to provide a method to negotiate proxies, otherwise we risk multiple plugins offering conflicting and confusing information and configuration options. If this feature is added to KeePass, I would hope that plugins like this will be able to make use of the application-wide proxy settings but until then I'm afraid that support for access via proxies will have to wait.

As a workaround, you'll have to find internet access from a separate location (home?)

Thanks,
    Chris

• Andrew Venmore
    Andrew Venmore
    2009-11-03

I can confirm that not only does Version 1.2 no longer crash KeePass, but that it sucessfully downloaded the favicons through this network.

I'd also like to report that after download, the KeePass tray icon popup menu items become disabled and the application can only be shut down from the main window.

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2009-11-07

Hi,

Well I can't pretend to understand how my changes could have somehow enabled NTLM proxy support but the main thing is that it works now!

Thanks for reporting the tray icon problem. I've now released version 1.3 which should resolve that problem. Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Andrew Venmore
    Andrew Venmore
    2009-11-10

Tested and works perfectly.

Thanks for your effort in providing this useful plugin.

• Well if it's been working fine then, back in v.1.3, it's now broken again.
    Receiving a 407 from our proxy. :-/

• This problem persists.
    I have a UserGate proxy at work. Problems:
    1. Plugin says on try:

Download error

Download error

Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
    ProtocolError: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.: System.Net.HttpWebResponse

ОК  

2. After this message base become "changed".

Suggestion: use of KeePass proxy settings if exists. If none, ask user about.

• Mark
    Mark
    2013-07-31

Hi,

I too get 407 proxy authentication error required.

Keepass v2.23 has proxy settings that work but it seems that the Favicon plugin isn't using them.

I hope you can fix it. thanks, Mark

Ps..... while I am here. I updated to the latest favcion plgx file but the Keepass check update says I still have 1.7.1 !!

Last edit: Mark 2013-07-31
    • Ken Salter
      Ken Salter
      2013-09-17

I can confirm I'm getting a proxy error, and I have Keypass using my System Proxy settings. This is on XP SP3.

• Hi,

I get the proxy authentication error too. All settings in Keepass proxy are correct, but the favicon-downloader give me this error.

Download errors

54 errors occurred. The last error message is shown here. To see the other messages, select a smaller group of entries and use the right click menu to start the download. Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
    ProtocolError: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.: System.Net.HttpWebResponse

OK