most websites don´t work

Help
moi
2009-11-12
2013-05-30
  •  moi
    moi
    2009-11-12

i tried to catch some favicons,  but only  1of 6 websites worked.

are there different ways to get favicons? Because all browsers show them correctly.

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2009-11-16

Yes there are different ways. Browsers understand all the different ways but for this little project I haven't yet had time to implement support for all the different ways.

The main way this plugin gets favicons is from a website called faviconiac. This seems to have the largest selection of favicons from the handful of websites offering a similar service. Many less popular websites are not found but you should see that re-running the download a couple of days later results in more favicons being found.

I have also just released version 1.4 which adds support for a 2nd way of getting favicons. If the first way (through faviconiac) does not work, the plugin will try a 2nd way. It's still not going to find every possible favicon but it should catch some extra ones.

Hopefully the combination of the new feature in version 1.4 and simply revisiting the download after these few days have passed will mean that you can get more of your websites to work. If not, feel free to post the URLs here in case there is any further help I can offer.

Thanks,
    Chris

•  moi
    moi
    2009-11-22

tnx,
    works much better now, most sites do.

here one that doesn´t

http://www.vforce700.de

• Flachzange
    Flachzange
    2009-12-18

Hi,
    just found your lovely plugin. For me only every third favicon can be found. I just wondered if I did something wrong, but now I found this post.
    Now I'm wondering alittlebit why you don't save the favicon directly?
    Many of the sites I can't get to work with your plugin have there favicon.ico directly stored in the root folder odf the page.
    For Example amazon.de
    When a CMS is used often you can find  the path to the favicon in the metatag shortcut icon.
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Maybe sometimes you like to integrate a way like this.

Many thanks for your very useful plugin.
    cu
    Flachzange

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2010-01-03

moi2: that website is an example of an icon that the standard Microsoft .NET library is unable to understand. The discussion with Flachzange might give you more information if you're interested.

Flachzange,

If you try again now, are any more favicons found? Two thirds missing sounds higher than usual. It's possible that the faviconiac service was not working correctly when you tried but since version 1.4, I do now make a direct request for "/favicon.ico".

The plugin has to find some way to convert the icon from the website into a format that .NET (and hence the rest of KeePass) can understand.

Unfortunately, the standard Microsoft .NET image library that the plugin uses is not actually able to handle all icon formats (but your web browser can). The faviconiac service supplies all of the icons in a format that .NET can understand but as mentioned above, not all icons can be found through that service (maybe it too has trouble understanding some icon formats?)

One day it would be nice to extend the plugin so that it can handle all icon formats as well as find and understand the meta tags you mention but my gut feeling is that this is one of those tasks that appears deceptively simple but actually takes quite a while to perfect. In the mean time, I hope that retrying the download a few days after the first attempt might bring enough icons into your database that manually fixing the remaining ones is not too tedious.

Thanks, 
    Chris

• Flachzange
    Flachzange
    2010-01-04

Many thanks for your travails. I just returned from my vacation and I'm in lack of time. I try this in the next few few days. Thank you again.

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2010-08-29

Hi flachzange,

http://www.vforce700.de/ might work now with version 1.5 - I've tried it on a couple of test machines and it's fine on one but throws an error on the other. Hopefully it'll work for you!

Thanks,
    Chris

• Flachzange
    Flachzange
    2010-08-30

Hi Lucky,
    just download and installed the plugin. Works fine for most of the sites.
    Thank you for the new release.

• David
    David
    2010-12-22

The success rate on this plugin is really mixed… Some popular sites it does not seem to work with:
    slashdot.org methods <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> or http://www.example.com/favicon.ico
    paypal.com method <link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-640-20101108-1/en_US/i/icon/pp_favicon_x.ico">

Might be worth looking these two examples since they are rather common.. There are not THAT many different ways that fav icons implemented.. It is often just in the root folder or part of the meta data.
    Most common fav icon methods

Proper:

HTML
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://example.com/myicon.png">

XML
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/somewhere/myicon.png" />

Other bad but common:
    Root of server ico file
    http://www.example.com/favicon.ico

icon format tags
    <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

• Luckyrat
    Luckyrat
    2011-05-08

Hi,

Version 1.6 should be a big improvement for you then. Previous versions have checked for the common methods you list but crucially were expecting all lowercase values - it turns out that many websites don't follow that convention :-)

v1.6 can also cope with a few other scenarios too which probably help with the examples you've listed.

I've tested slashdot and paypal and both work in v1.6.

Thanks for your patience,
    Chris

• David
    David
    2011-05-09

Version 1.6 seems to have worked on every site that had a favicon that I was missing. Thanks!

Can't trust web developers to pay attention to case because unlike unix systems case is not important under windows / mac systems.