Help
stewardger
2010-06-16
2013-04-14
  • stewardger
    stewardger
    2010-06-16

Hi,
    I tried to synch my database with my pc but it doesn´t work. I have a Windows 7 64bit PC and I use Norton as my firewall.
    Does anybody have a clear step-by-step instruction for me? Either English or German.

Thank you very much,

Patrick

• Sidney
    Sidney
    2010-06-17

Hi Patrick,
    I am running in pretty much the same configuration Windows 7 (32bit), Norton firewall. The sync works as advertised in the documentation with one exception: I have to use the ip address of my pc rather than the node name in karatasi settings on the iPhone. (You can determine that ip address by executing the script "cmd" in the "search programs and files" from the "start" button on the lower left of your screen.  That will bring up a "DOS command prompt" window. Enter "ipconfig" on the command line to receive a display with ip address of your pc)

If that's not the problem, please provide some more detail about what happens from the point that you hit the "start" button in the karatasi java display.  Is there any information in the log? 

Sidney

• stewardger
    stewardger
    2010-06-17

Hi Sidney,
    I already used my IP. I did the following steps:
    -installed java software from karatasi
    -connected the iphone via usb to my pc
    but, even with entering my ipadress and set a new password it doesn´t work. i also don´t know which port to use. a portchecker program says the default port 7776 is closed.

• stewardger
    stewardger
    2010-06-17

and i started the java app of course

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2010-06-17

Hi Patrick,

1) you can use any port which is not used by another aplication on your PC. When you are not sure if a port is free, you can just try: configure it in the File > Settings, then press the "start" button. If the gray "Server off" button turns yellow and says "Server idle" then the port is fine. Also you should get a message in the logging window at the bottom.
    2) I have never used the USB connection, only the WLAN. What is your usual way to go into the internet from your iPhone?
    3) of course you must setup the same port at the iPhone, and of course you must setup your firewall to allow incoming IP connections on this port (unfortunately I do not know the details how to configure the firewall).

Christa

• Sidney
    Sidney
    2010-06-18

Hi Patrick,

I don't believe you can sync karatasi through a USB connection.  You need to do it wirelessly which of course is better.  That's why you need to put communication stuff like port numbers, host name (node name of your PC or its IP address) in the karatasi settings. Those are all parameters that configue your particular  WIFI communication between the PC and your iPhone making it possible for the two devices to find and talk to each other. The port number BTW is pretty arbitrary as long as its the same on the Java app settings on the PC and in the iPhone.  I use 8080 and sometimes 8088.  

So get in a room with a WIFI router, forget about your USB cable, parametize the communicationsentries on the PC java app and on your iPhone, hit the Start button on the Java app, then the zigzag double headed arrow on the iPhone app  and I think you will have it.  There's an old Gospel song that goes "Turn your radio on and listen to the music in the air."  Well, it's not music in the air, but it is karatasi.  Let us know how it works.

Sidney