Merging DB?

Help
2010-05-05
2013-04-14
  • Ebrahim Afsah
    Ebrahim Afsah
    2010-05-05

Is there any way to merge databases either on the iPhone or in the Java Application? Preferably while maintaining the categories.

Any help is much appreciated,

Ebi

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2010-05-05

Hi Ebi,

if you have not yet started learning your databases which you want to merge, we recommend to use the csv export; then merge the resulting csv files either with a spreadsheet (something like Excel), or with a text editor; and finally reimport the merged csv file with the csv import again.
    Note that the csv import and export cover the content data only (that is: the category plus up to 6 card fields); but not the learning data (current repetition interval etc).

Some day in the future we plan to implement a better merging support in the Java application, but currently we have other features with higher priority on our list.

Regards,

Christa

• Ebrahim Afsah
    Ebrahim Afsah
    2010-05-05

Dear Christa,

thank you very much for your quick reply. I would know how to do this with a .csv file but I was importing my old Palm .pdb databases. I had produced these while moving forward in my textbook, so now many years later the book is fully finished and I thought I could merge the separate DB into one each per language. But it is workable as it is, though I might try to find the old spreadsheet data and do as you advised.

But I agree, if the feature is not in (I thought I had missed it), it is relatively low priority to add it.

Great work. Ebi

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2010-05-05

Hi Ebi,

instead of going back to your old spreadsheet data you can use the csv export (mark one database in the list, then use the menu File > Write). This works even if the file was imported from Palm database before; only the learning data will be skipped, as said before.

Regarding the performance issue you mentioned, we have performed a few tests.
    The issue seems to be with the table view (menu File > List, or double-click).
    Besides this, it seems to run at normal speed, so you should be able to do the csv export and import.

The strange thing is: on my old MAC with Java 1.5 and 32 bit CPU, everything is quite normal.
    We will continue to investigate this issue.

Christa