Help
stephan b
2011-02-04
2013-04-14
  • stephan b
    stephan b
    2011-02-04

hi,

i´m not able to sync karatasi on iphone4 with my macbook. tried ip as name and he shows me:
    INFO: 401 Unauthorized: by client /192.168.1.9:50667: Authentication failed.
    (requested URI: /list?version=3&device=iphone)

if i use the name he shows nothing.

whats wrong? plz help.

stephan

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2011-02-05

Hi Stephan,

karatasi performs the follwing steps to establish a session from the iPhone device to the Java application:

1) the iPhone connects to the Java application with a http request. It must go through your local network / WLAN router and pass the firewall to do so.
    2) the Java application requests the password from the iPhone.
    3) the iPhone uses the password which you have setup in the iPhone application preferences.
    4) the Java application compares the password against the password which you have setup at the Java application settings (menu file / settings).

The error message "Authentication failed" means that the iPhone has connected successfull to the Java application but then fails in step 4 (password verification).
    Please verify that you have setup the same password on the iPhone and on the Java application.

Note: in the other scenario where you use the name and get nothing it fails already in the first step. Maybe your WLAN router cannot resolve the name.
    Note: Using the IP address is just fine. Please verify then that your WLAN router is configured to use fixed IP addresses. If it uses dynamic IP addresses you will have to setup the address again and again as it changes.

Christa

• WasSollDas
    WasSollDas
    2011-03-23

Hi,
    I have just the same problem as stephan
    It does not work. It's a pity, but in this case, your software is not useful for me.
    Maybe someone could write a detailed describtion - for dummies like me.

I don't know what kind of password I should have for solve this problem.

I spend a hole evening from 20.00 until now and tested several possibilities - no result.

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2011-03-26

Hi weissnicht,

the key points to get a successfull connection between the iPhone and the Java application are:

1) On the iPhone, start the application 'Settings' (in German: 'Einstellungen', das Icon mit den Zahnrädern). Here you find a section with settings for every app, also for karatasi.
    Setup the following values:
    a) Protocol: select 'karatasi Java'
    German: Protokoll
    b) Host: this setting is very important. It must be the IP address of your PC where the Java application is running.  Alternatively you may use the name of this PC as it is known in the WLAN router.
    German: Rechnername
    You see the IP address for a MAC-OS system if you type from the command line
    ifconfig
    For a Windows system you type from the command line
    ipconfig

Example output on my MAC:
    kiri$ ifconfig
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:16:cb:c9:40:38
    media: autoselect
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:61:20:c0
    media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:16:cb:b8:61:f9
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:feb8:61f9%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    inet 192.168.22.76 netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast 192.168.22.127
    media: autoselect

In this example the correct address is 192.168.22.76
    Get support from a network expert if you are not sure.
    Note: If your WLAN router uses dynamic adresses, then your PC will get a new IP address every time. Try the PC name in this case.
    Note: Some WLAN routers do not know the PC name. Try the IP address in this case. If possible, configure the router to use fixed IP addresses.

c) Port: Also this setting is important. It must be the same Port as you have configured in the Java application. To find out, start the Java application and press the 'Start' button. You see the yellow status button 'Server idle' at the top, and a message like: 'INFO: bound to port 8088' at the bottom. Use this number.
    If the status button turns not yellow, you must first find a free port for the Java application. See 2a)
    German: Port
    d) Device name: choose any name you like.
    German: Gerätename
    e) Password: use any password you like, but remember it.
    Note: delete the dots first before you enter your password.
    German: Passwort

2) On the Java application, select the menu File / Settings (in German: 'Datei / Einstellungen') and setup the following values:
    a) Network Settings / sync server network port: use the *same* port as in 1c)
    German: Netzwerkeinstellungen / Netzwerk-Port für Datenbank-Übertragung
    Note: if the pre-configured port is not free, you must first find a free port. Just try! As soon as you press the 'Done' button, and then the 'Start' button, you see if it turns yellow.

b) Authorized device / Name: use the *same* name as in 1d)
    German: Gerätedaten / Name
    c) Authorized device / Password: use the *same* password as in 1e)
    German: Gerätedaten / Passwort

3) Now you can try:
    a) In Java, press the 'Start' button. See the yellow status button 'Server idle' at the top, and a message like: 'INFO: bound to port 8088' at the bottom.
    b) on the iPhone, launch the karatasi app, and press the 'synch' icon - the zigzag arrow in the lower left corner.
    c) look for error messages in Java.
    d) If everything is fine, go to the iPhone and press the 'synch' icon - the zigzag arrow down at the center position.

4) Troubleshooting:
    a) status button in Java is not yellow?
    => press the 'Start' button.
    => find a free port, see 2a)
    b) no connection, and no error message in Java?
    => verify the settings 1a), 1b), 1c), 1d), 2b)
    => check if your firewall is open for your application
    => check the WLAN
    c) no connection but error message in Java (scroll the window to see all messages):
    INFO: 401 Unauthorized: by client /0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1%0:50378: Authentication failed.
    => check the password 1e), 2c)

Good luck!

Christa

• WasSollDas
    WasSollDas
    2011-03-27

Hi Christa
    Thank you very much! You are brilliant! Now it works very well.
    With your description for dummies it was realy simple to find out and solve the problem.
    It was the username and password.

But now, I have another question:
    I have imported the new Database, but I can't start to use it, because the dataset is not activatet yet.
    Is it possible to activate all at once on the iPhone or must I edit one by one and activate each with the "square" symbol?

Best regards
    Tom

• Christa Runge
    Christa Runge
    2011-03-27

Hi Tom,

instead of activating your cards one by one you may activate all cards of a category in a single step.
    Please be aware that it is resonable to activate a large number of cards on one day only if you know most of them - else you will get an overwhelming workload.

How to activate all cards in a category on the iPhone:
    - select the database and see the list of categories
    - press the 'Edit' button, then select the category
    - on the bottom you see a checked square (activate all cards) and an empty square (deactivate all cards).

Regards,
    Christa