can't find the word "women" through API

Help
Anonymous
2003-08-12
2003-11-11

• Anonymous
    2003-08-12

I'm sure that i'm using the API in the correct way, but for some unknown reason when searching the word "women" i get nothing.
    I'm using jwnl 1.2.1 and the dictionary database is 1.7.1. It works fine through the WordNet GUI.
    Please advise .

Amos

• Marin Dimitrov
      Marin Dimitrov
      2003-08-20

the WordNet GUI allows searching for "women" (!!!) because there is a morphological processor integrated with it (http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/man1.7.1/morphy.7WN.html)

note that only the base forms of the words ("woman") are stored in the database files and most probably that's why the JWNL API does not allow searches for the inflected forms

if you relaly need to do such searches you can probably use some other tool/API to first extract the base form for the word and then make a JWNL query for it

hth,

Marin

• Anonymous
      2003-08-20

Your claim doesn't make sense. I'm trying to search the word "took" and although in WordNet database appears only the word "take", it still can be found through JWNL API. How can you exaplin this ?

By the way, i did a sanity test, and JWNL 1.7.1 seems to work fine with WordNet 2.0 .

Amos

• Marin Dimitrov
        Marin Dimitrov
        2003-08-20

ok I admit I was mistaken a bit - there is a morhphological processor available for jwnl too (not enabled by default) and since our jwnl based application does not need it I never paid much attention to it

if you can find "took" but can't find "women" then there might be some problem with the morphological processor

best,

Marin

• John Didion
      John Didion
      2003-11-11

this appears to be fixed in JWNL 1.3