WordNet 2.1 Compatibility?

Help
Scott Reed
2005-05-24
2013-04-29
  • Scott Reed
    Scott Reed
    2005-05-24

I am just trying out this API. The current version of Wordnet for Windows is 2.1. When I tried to initialize JWNL for file-backed dictionary with 2.1, I got an few error messages including "unable to install..." and adv.idx not found. I see adv.idx in 2.0 but not in 2.1. Is JWNL only compatible with 2.0?

Also, where is the documentation for the property files?

I am looking forward to using this tool. I think it's a great idea and a great contribution to the open source community.

Thanks,
      Scott

• MAB_71
      MAB_71
      2005-07-06

Did you eventually find you way out of this one? In that case, can you please explain?

• Jim Irwin
      Jim Irwin
      2005-07-22

It appears that the Windows version of Wordnet 2.1 no  longer uses dictionary file names that are different than the MAC / Unix version.  This means that the net.didion.jwnl.princeton.file.AbstractPrincetonDictionaryFile class is failing to find the files in the Wordnet 2.1 dict directory. 

It can be remedied by removing the " || JWNL.getOS() == JWNL.WINDOWS" clause from the if statement in makeFileName() method.

• msammer
      msammer
      2005-08-01

As a note, the makeFileName method is located in /net/didion/jwnl/princeton/file/AbstractPrinctonDictionaryFile.java

• Mark Finlayson
      Mark Finlayson
      2006-03-20

A better fix would be to add a test for the WordNet version, so that it can load all versions:

In net.didion.jwnl.princeton.file.AbstractPrincetonDictionaryFile, line 51:

Change from:

if (getFileType() == DictionaryFileType.EXCEPTION || JWNL.getOS() == JWNL.WINDOWS)

to:

if (getFileType() == DictionaryFileType.EXCEPTION || (JWNL.getOS() == JWNL.WINDOWS & JWNL.getVersion().getNumber() < 2.1))

• Lawrence
      Lawrence
      2006-04-24

Is there another way other than the solutions posted above? If none, then where do i get the source code? i browsed through jwnl 1.3 and only the classes are inside...