Null Pointer Exception

Help
Anonymous
2003-11-21
2013-04-29

• Anonymous
    2003-11-21

Hi, I am having trouble running the example.

I am using the default file_properties.xml (the path to wordnet seems correct) and get the following when trying to run Examples:

Base form for "running-away": [IndexWord: [Lemma: run away] [POS: verb]]
    21-Nov-2003 15:20:51 net.didion.jwnl.util.MessageLog doLog
    INFO: Installing dictionary net.didion.jwnl.dictionary.FileBackedDictionary@64dc11
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerTarget.getPointers(PointerTarget.java:39)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerTarget.getTargets(PointerTarget.java:53)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.SynsetProxy.getTargets(SynsetProxy.java:47)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.makePointerTargetTreeList(PointerUtils.java:523)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.makePointerTargetTreeList(PointerUtils.java:531)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.makePointerTargetTreeList(PointerUtils.java:477)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.makePointerTargetTreeList(PointerUtils.java:444)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.makePointerTargetTreeList(PointerUtils.java:430)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.getHyponymTree(PointerUtils.java:64)
            at net.didion.jwnl.data.PointerUtils.getHyponymTree(PointerUtils.java:59)
            at net.didion.jwnl.utilities.Examples.demonstrateTreeOperation(Examples.java:88)
            at net.didion.jwnl.utilities.Examples.go(Examples.java:65)
            at net.didion.jwnl.utilities.Examples.main(Examples.java:40)

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks

Nick

• Anonymous
      2003-11-23

I've managed to get it working myself, thanks anyway (it was a case of deleting everything and starting again, who knows what was going wrong).

• Anonymous
      2003-12-01

Hi
      I'm also having the same problem with null pointer exception. I would appreciate if you could tell me how u have solved it. I'm new to java .. so would appreciate any kind of help that i can get.

thank you.

• chris tignor
      chris tignor
      2003-12-19

i am also experiencing this error.
      i have tried seaching for ANTONYM and HYPERNYM adn both return these exceptions.

C>T>

• chris tignor
      chris tignor
      2003-12-19

i have figured it out.
      the file_properties.xml distributed with the latest sdk points to Wordnet version 2.0 (which I also happened to have installed, in addition to 1.7.1, on my machine) yet WordNet 2.0 is not supported.  Make sure this points to a propper 1.7.1 (at the latest) installation!

C>T>

• jaimearguello
        jaimearguello
        2007-01-16

This was problem as well. Thanks for posting this!