Not getting started at all!

Help
MAB_71
2005-06-29
2013-04-29
  • MAB_71
    MAB_71
    2005-06-29

I have Java 1.4, WordNet 2.1 and JWNL 1.2 on my machine, and I wish to be able to use WordNet from inside a Java program to infer various lexical information about words. Typically, I will need to see if a word is a hyponym of person, for instance.

My problem is that I am not getting started at all! I have made a correction in the file_properties.xml file so that the dictionary path leads to the dict folder of my WordNet installation:

C:\Programfiler\WordNet\2.1\dict

Still I get the below quoted error message when I try to run my short test file:

Please help, anyone!

net.didion.jwnl.JWNLException: Unable to install net.didion.jwnl.dictionary.FileBackedDictionary
            at net.didion.jwnl.util.factory.Element.install(Element.java:34)
            at net.didion.jwnl.JWNL.initialize(JWNL.java:157)
            at Dissertation.WNTest.<init>(WNTest.java:17)
            at Dissertation.WNTest.main(WNTest.java:37)
    Caused by: net.didion.jwnl.JWNLException: The properties file must specify a dictionary path
            at net.didion.jwnl.util.factory.AbstractValueParam.create(AbstractValueParam.java:34)
            at net.didion.jwnl.dictionary.FileBackedDictionary.install(FileBackedDictionary.java:99)
            at net.didion.jwnl.util.factory.Element.install(Element.java:32)
            ... 3 more
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.didion.jwnl.dictionary.DefaultMorphologicalProcessor
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:199)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
            at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
            at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)
            at net.didion.jwnl.util.factory.AbstractValueParam.create(AbstractValueParam.java:30)
            ... 5 more

• Hi,

is it possible that there is a typo in your path?
      > C:\Programfiler\WordNet\2.1\dict
                              ^^^^    

Lars

• MAB_71
      MAB_71
      2005-06-30

What do you mean? Capital C? I have tried lower case c, it doesn't make any difference. I am sure that the path is correct, any other tips?

• No, sorry. I was thinking of a typo in the word 'Programfiler' since this directory is often called 'Program Files'. However, your Windows installation probably uses your native language.

Lars

• MAB_71
      MAB_71
      2005-06-30

Oh, I see. Well, I am sure that is correct. Can you think of any other reasons?